What is E45 Dermatological Cream?
E45 dermatological cream is a clinically proven treatment to soothe dry, itching, chapped, rough and calloused skin as well as skin that has been affected by sunburn or harsh detergents. This cream can also be used to treat symptoms caused by dry skin conditions such as eczema, dermatitis, ichthyosis and some cases of psoriasis. This caring cream is suitable for use by the whole family, including babies over the age of 1 month.
What causes dry skin?
Many factors can cause dry skin, from the climate to what we apply to our skin. Common causes of dry skin include:
- Weather- when temperatures and humidity levels plummet, it can cause our skin to lose moisture
- Heat- central heating, fireplaces and heaters all reduce humidity, which can dry out the skin
- Hot baths and showers- taking long hot showers or baths can cause dry skin
- Swimming- spending a long time in chlorinated pools can strip our skin of its natural oils and cause dry skin
- Harsh soaps and detergents- many soaps, detergents and shampoos strip moisture from the skin, as they are formulated to remove oil
Conditions that cause dry skin
Dry skin can be a symptom of long-term skin conditions.
A long-term skin condition that makes the skin itchy, red, dry and cracked. It can affect any part of the body, but commonly affects:
- The backs or fronts of knees
- Outside or inside the elbows
- Around the neck, hands, cheeks or scalp
This condition causes flaky red patches of skin that are covered in silver scales. These patches usually appear on the elbows, knees and the lower back and can be itchy or sore. Those who have psoriasis usually have periods with little to no symptoms, followed by periods when symptoms are more severe.
There are 20 different types of Ichthyosis. Some types are inherited from birth, whereas others are acquired during adulthood. This condition causes widespread and persistent thick, dry, ‘fish-scale’ skin.
Why is moisturising important?
Moisturising our skin is important in order to replenish our skin’s protective barrier. It’s this barrier that prevents bacteria and germs from penetrating our skin and causing infection. If our skin becomes dehydrated and dry, it compromises this protective barrier which can leave us vulnerable to infection. Dry skin conditions, such as eczema can be made worse if the skin isn’t moisturised as cracks and irritation can occur, which can cause pain and discomfort. Moisturising our skin regularly helps to keep our skin’s hydration levels topped up, preventing dry skin, irritation, itchiness and cracks, as well as protecting us from infection.
How can we treat dry skin?
As well as moisturising, there are many measures we can take in our daily lives to keep our skin hydrated and healthy. Here are some dos and don’ts for healthy skin:
- DON’T have long, hot showers
- DO use warm instead of hot water and limit your bath or shower to less than 10 minutes
- DON’T use harsh or drying soaps, deodorant, antibacterial detergents and products containing fragrances
- DO use gentle cleansing creams and skin cleansers with moisturising properties
- DON’T rub your skin vigorously with a towel.
- DO gently pat your skin dry so that some moisture remains
- DON’T spend too long in rooms with ‘dry air’ (e.g. near fireplaces, heaters or radiators).
- DO use a portable home humidifier to add moisture to the air in your home and limit your time near sources of heat.
- DON’T wear material that irritates the skin, such as wool.
- DO wear materials that are soft and let your skin breath, such as cotton or silk and wash your clothes with detergents without dyes or perfumes.
How does E45 Dermatological Cream work?
This product contains Lanolin, light liquid paraffin and white soft paraffin that all have emollient properties which help to keep the skin hydrated. It is clinically proven to treat and soothe dry, irritated skin and it’s light, non-greasy formula is quickly absorbed by the skin for fast relief from discomfort caused by dry skin. E45 cream has also been dermatologically tested to treat more serious dry skin conditions such as eczema, dermatitis and some dry cases of psoriasis.
How to use E45 cream
Check that the seal is intact before first use. Remove seal and apply to affected area 2-3 times daily
- Regularly change your clothing, bedding or dressing when using large quantities (>100g) of this product and keep away from naked flames.
- Keep out of sight and reach of children.
When NOT to use this product
Do NOT use this product if you are allergic to any of the ingredients used in this product (see ingredients tab for full list). E45 cream contains cetyl alcohol, which can cause local skin reactions (contact dermatitis) as well as E216 and E218 which can cause allergic reactions (possibly delayed). If you are using minoxidil, speak to your doctor BEFORE using this product. This product is not recommended for use during breastfeeding. Always read the label before using any medicinal product and check with your doctor or a Chemist 4 U pharmacist if you are unsure whether a product is suitable for you.
Like all topical treatments, E45 can cause side effects, although not everyone experiences them. Occasionally, an allergic reaction or worsening acne may occur. If you suspect an allergic reaction such as a rash or if anything unusual happens, stop using this product. If symptoms persist, seek medical advice from your GP.
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about addiction to 'over the counter' medication, we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
- Lanolin, Light Liquid Paraffin, White Soft Paraffin
Active ingredients: White Soft Paraffin 14.5% w/w, Light Liquid Paraffin 12.6% w/w and Anhydrous Lanolin (Medilan®) 1% w/w
Other ingredients: Glyceryl Monostearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Sodium Cetostearyl Sulphate, Carbomer, Methyl Hydroxybenzoate (E218), Propyl Hydroxybenzoate (E216), Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid Monohydrate, Purified Water
Everything You Need to Know About Eczema
If you have dry skin that always seems to happen in the same area and drives you up the wall with that itchy, scratchy feeling, then you could have eczema.
But what is eczema, and what makes this condition different from just regular patches of dry skin?
Today, we’re going to find out more about eczema, what it is, and what it means for your skin.
Eczema, Psoriasis, Dermatitis, and Rosacea: What You Need to Know
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30* - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95* - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
*Excluding refrigerated products and treatments which are subject to different postage charges.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist4U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here