What is Senokot Syrup?
Senokot Syrup is a treatment for short term constipation which works overnight to relieve constipation. If you’re struggling with constipation and looking for relief that will get to work fast, Senokot Syrup could be the solution for you.
What causes constipation?
If you haven’t had three or less bowel movements over the course of a week, you could be constipated. Some of the most common causes of constipation are:
- Not enough fibre in your diet
- Not drinking enough fluids
- A change in your diet
- Not being active enough
- A change in your daily routine
- Stress, anxiety, or depression
- Consistently ignoring the urge to go to the toilet
How does Senokot Syrup treat constipation?
Senokot Syrup contains the active ingredient Senna, a natural ingredient which comes from the leaves and fruit of the senna plant. This natural substance helps to relieve constipation by encouraging the muscles in your bowel to contract, moving stools through your body and helping you to pass them more easily.
Can I take this product if I’m pregnant or breastfeeding?
You should not take Senokot Syrup if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding. If you’re struggling with constipation during pregnancy, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Can I take this product if I’m taking other medication?
If you’re taking any other medications, including those obtained without a prescription, you should speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Senokot Syrup. This especially applies if you are taking:
- Medicines for a heart condition, e.g. cardiac glycosides, antiarrhythmic medicines such as quinidine
- Medicines inducing QT elongation
- Liquorice root preparations
How to take this product to treat constipation
You will usually only need to take Senokot Syrup 2 – 3 times a week. You should not take this product for more than 1 – 2 weeks unless advised to do so by your doctor or pharmacist. The usual dose of this medicine is as follows:
- Adults and children over 12: Take one or two 5ml spoonfuls at night
- Children aged 6 – 11: Take one or two 5ml spoonfuls at night. Only give this to your child if advised to do so by a medical professional
- Children aged 2 – 6: Take half to one 5ml spoonful at night. Only give this to your child if advised to do so by a medical professional
When should Senokot Syrup not be used?
Senokot Syrup is not suitable for children under the age of 2. Always make sure children who use this product are doing so under medical supervision. Do not take Senokot Syrup if you are allergic to sennosides or any of the other listed ingredients. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this product if you suffer with kidney disorders. Do not use Senokot Syrup if you:
- Have a blockage or narrowing of your gastro-intestinal tract or bowel
- Have paralysis or lack or muscle tone in the bowel
- Have appendicitis
- Have an inflammatory bowel disease such as Chron’s disease or ulcerative colitis
- Have severe dehydration
- Have undiagnosed abdominal pain or other abdominal complaints e.g. pain, nausea, vomiting
- Suffer with faecal impaction, blood in your stools, or rectal bleeding for which you do not know the cause
- Have already taken a laxative and are still constipated
- Have had a sudden change in bowel habit that has lasted longer than 2 weeks
- Have kidney or heart failure
- Are pregnant or breast feeding
Does this product have side effects?
Like all medications, Senokot Syrup can have side effects, but not everyone will experience them. These side effects include:
- Abdominal pain, spasms, and diarrhoea
- Allergic reactions such as hives, itchiness, rash, or asthma
- Can make you more likely to catch infections
- Discolouration of the urine
- Pigmentation of the gastrointestinal tract
- Low potassium in the blood causing muscle weakness or cramps
- Severe weight loss
- Changes in shape of finger or fingernails
- Muscular spasms
- Inflammation of bones and joints
If you experience these or any other side effects while using this product, stop use and speak to your doctor or pharmacist. For more information about reporting the side effects of medication, please see the MHRA’s Yellow Card Scheme.
How to store this syrup
Store in a cool, dry place which is below 25 degrees C. Do not freeze this product. Do not use this product if the expiry date printed on the original packaging has passed. Keep out of sight and reach of children.
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about addiction to 'over the counter' medication, we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
Each 5 ml of syrup contains sennosides, as calcium salts, equivalent to 7.5 mg hydroxyanthracene glycosides, calculated as sennoside B.
The other ingredients are potassium sorbate (E202), methyl parahydroxybenzoate (E218), propyl parahydroxybenzoate (E216), maltitol liquid (E965), xanthan gum, anti-foam emulsion, prune flavour (caramel colour E150a, ethanol, prune juice concentrate, vanilla bean extract, water), citric acid anhydrous and purified water
Don’t you just hate blockages? Whether it is in the nose and you struggle to breathe through it and smell, or whether it is a traffic jam caused by an accident that leaves you stuck on the road, they are a pain.
The same can be said about constipation, a simple blockage in the digestive system that can cause a lot of problems. To find the solution to constipation, first, you need to know the cause.
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist 4 U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here