What is Codeine Linctus Sugar Free?
Codeine Linctus Sugar Free is a cough syrup that helps to ease your dry, tickly coughs. Its sugar-free formulation makes it ideal for those who need to control their sugar intake and are looking for an effective way to relieve their irritating cough.
What is a dry or tickly cough?
A dry or a tickly cough is the kind of a cough that doesn’t produce any mucus and usually clears up within 3 weeks. If you have a dry cough, you’ll notice an itchy or tickly feeling in the back of your throat that makes you want to cough. This is caused by irritation in your airways, with some of the most common causes of cough including:
- Upper Respiratory Tract Infections, e.g. cold and flu, sinusitis, laryngitis
- Lower Respiratory Tract Infections, e.g. bronchitis, pneumonia
- Allergies or hay fever
- Inhaling dust or stroke
- Long-term conditions such as asthma or acute bronchitis
How does Codeine Linctus help to ease dry coughs?
Codeine Linctus Sugar Free syrup helps to ease dry coughs by changing how your body responds to itching and irritation in the throat. It contains the active ingredient codeine phosphate, which is a painkiller that can also be used to ease dry coughs. When the way your body responds to the itching and tickling sensation in your throat it reduces the urge to cough, which in turn gives your irritated throat time to heal, getting rid of that stubborn cough for good.
Can I take this product while I’m pregnant or breastfeeding?
You should not take codeine linctus while you are breastfeeding, as codeine metabolises into morphine which can pass into your breastmilk. If you are pregnant you should speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this product or any other medication to ensure that it is safe for you and your baby.
Can I take this product at the same time as other medication?
Codeine Linctus Sugar Free should not be taken at the same time as some other medicines, as they may interact. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this product if you are taking any other medication, including those you obtained without a prescription, especially if you are taking any of the following:
- Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOIs), which are a type of antidepressant, e.g. Isocarboxazid (Marplan), Phenelzine (Nardil), Selegiline (Emsam)
- CNS depressants, e.g. chlorpromazine, diazepam (Valium)
- Anticholinergics, e.g. oxybutynin
- Neuromuscular blocking agents, e.g. atracurium
- Hypnotics (e.g. sleeping tablets) or sedatives
Can I drive after taking this medicine?
This medicine can cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not attempt to drive or use tools or machinery until you are sure that you are not affected by this medicine in this way.
Can I drink alcohol while I’m taking this cough medicine?
You should not drink alcohol after taking this cough medicine as it could increase drowsiness, making it more difficult to manage.
How to take this dry cough medicine
Take 1 x 5ml spoonful of Codeine Linctus Sugar Free syrup for each dose. Take up to 4 times a day, leaving at least 4 hours between each dose and making sure that you do not take more than 4 doses in any 24 hours.
Can I buy codeine linctus over the counter?
You do not need a prescription for Codeine Linctus Sugar Free, however, you will be asked to complete a short medical questionnaire by your Chemist 4 U pharmacist before we can take your order. This includes some simple questions that all pharmacies legally are required to ask before supplying this kind of product. This helps our pharmacy team to be sure that this product is the best choice for you.
This medicine is made to the British Pharmacopoeia standards.
Why can I only buy one bottle of Codeine Linctus Sugar Free at a time?
A maximum of one bottle will be supplied with each purchase, multiple purchases made within a short space of time will be rejected. This is because Codeine Linctus should only be used for a short period, as taking codeine over a prolonged period can cause addiction. If you find that you need to use Codeine Linctus for a prolonged period, speak to your doctor for advice.
When should Codeine Linctus Sugar Free not be used?
Codeine Linctus Sugar Free is not suitable for use by children under the age of 18. Do not use this product if you are allergic to codeine, morphine, or any of the other listed ingredients. Do not use Codeine Linctus if you:
- Have liver disease or severe kidney problems
- Have shallow breath or breathing difficulties
- Have a head injury or a persistent headache
- Have an asthma attack
- Have previously had a blocked bowel
- Have previously had an addiction to medicines containing codeine or morphine
- Know that you metabolise very rapidly codeine into morphine
- Have previously had a bad reaction to codeine (are a known ultra-rapid metaboliser or codeine)
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding
Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before using this product if you:
- Have liver or kidney problems
- Have a history of asthma or other breathing problems, including bronchitis
- Have low blood pressure
- Have irritable bowel syndrome or other bowel problems
- Have abdominal pain
- Have myasthenia gravis (a disease of the muscle)
- Have an underactive thyroid or adrenal gland problems
- Have gallstones or bile duct problems
- Have prostate problems
- Have problems passing urine
- Have an irregular heartbeat
- Have fits
- Are suffering from shock
- Are elderly, as you may react differently to the medicine
Does this cough medicine have any side effects?
Like all medicines, Codeine Linctus Sugar Free can have side effects, although not everyone will experience them. These side effects include:
- Signs that a high amount of morphine is being produced in the body, e.g. slow or shallow breathing, confusion, sleepiness, small pupils, feeling or being sick, constipation, lack of appetite
- Feeling or being sick
- Dizziness or vertigo
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling unwell
- Muscle twitching or stiffness
- Disturbed sleep
- Difficulty passing water
- Dry mouth
- A headache
- Facial flushing
- Fluid retention, e.g. swollen ankles and feet
- Abnormal heartbeat
- Feeling faint when standing up
- Slow, shallow breathing
- Low body heat
- Mood changes
- Feeling restless or confused
- Pinpoint pupils or other problems with eyesight
- Abdominal pain, including pain caused by inflammation of the pancreas or bile duct problems
- Ureteric spasm causing stomach or lower back pain
- Low sexual urge
- Allergic reactions, e.g. itching, rash
- Elderly people may experience incontinence, diarrhoea, stomach pain, blocked bowel
- Prolonged use may worsen irritable bowel syndrome
- Prolonged use may lead to addiction, dependence or tolerance (where the medicine loses its effect)
If you experience these or any other side effects while using this product, stop use and speak to your doctor or pharmacist right away. For more information about reporting the side effects of medication, please see the MHRA’s Yellow Card Scheme.
How to store this product
Store in a cool, dry place that is below 25 degrees C. Store in the original container, which will protect the product from light. Do not use after the expiration date printed on the bottle has passed. Keep out of sight and reach of children.
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here
If you are concerned about an addiction to 'over the counter' medication we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice
- The active ingredient is: Codeine Phosphate, 15 mg in each 5 ml
- The other ingredients are: sodium benzoate (E211), citric acid monohydrate, saccharin sodium (E954), sunset yellow (E110), sorbitol solution (E420), orange flavour, carboxymethylcellulose, propylene glycol and purified water
Everything You Need to Know About Codeine
Best Medicines for Dry, Chesty, Tickly or Mucus Coughs
Does this product contain promethazine?
No, it doesn't.
The active ingredient are:
Codeine Phosphate, 15 mg in each 5 ml
The other ingredients are: sodium benzoate (E211), citric acid monohydrate, saccharin sodium (E954), sunset yellow (E110), sorbitol solution (E420), orange flavour, carboxymethylcellulose, propylene glycol and purified water
Is it legal to buy codeine linctus over the counter in the UK?
This product is a Pharmacy Only Medicine in the UK, so it's perfectly legal to buy it from registered pharmacies, providing the pharmacist thinks this product is suitable for you.
That can be seen at the legal class on here https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/4825/smpc
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30* - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95* - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
*Excluding refrigerated products and treatments which are subject to different postage charges.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist4U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here