What is the Freestyle Libre One Sensor?
The Freestyle Libre Sensor is an easy-to-use sensor for testing blood sugar levels for those with diabetes. Instead of the more traditional blood testing method, the Libre doesn’t require any finger pricking to draw blood and instead, the sensor sits on the back of the arm where it can easily be scanned to give you a reading. It can be used for up to 14 days.
How does the sensor work?
This sensor works by placing the Freestyle Libre Reader (sold separately) over the sensor which gives off a reading. It works similar to how a contactless credit/debit card works, with a simple connection to confirm the purchase.
Who is this sensor suitable for?
The Freestyle Libre Sensor is suitable for those with diabetes who have a more active lifestyle and want a faster reading. It is also suitable for those who perhaps don’t want to be constantly pricking their finger for blood.
How is the Freestyle Libre Sensor applied?
The is applied to the skin using the included applicator. To do this, make sure that the skin is clean because oily, wet, or hairy skin may make the sensor harder to apply. Applying the sensor includes several steps:
- Open up the Sensor Pack and unscrew the cap on it and then put the cap aside.
- Line up the dark marks on both the sensor and the applicator and press down on the applicator until it stops.
- Place the applicator over where you want the sensor to go and push down firmly to apply the sensor to the skin. Now the sensor should stick to the skin.
- Gently pull the applicator away from the sensor, which should stay on the skin.
- Put the cap back onto the applicator.
How do I shower or bathe when the sensor is on?
If you are showering or bathing, then take extra care. The sensor is waterproof but hard pulling can knock it off, particularly when towelling. The sensor is waterproof for up to 1 metre and can be in the water for up to 30 minutes.
Will the sensor work when I am wearing tight clothing?
No, avoid wearing tight clothing on the arms when using the sensor. Also, take care not to catch the sensor on clothing when getting dressed.
Can I play sports when using the sensor?
You should avoid contact sports that could potentially knock the sensor off the arm. You should also be careful not to bump into things when not doing exercise as this could also knock the sensor off.
Can wear my sensor or CGM device on a plane?
If you wear a Freestyle Libre Sensor or another CGM (continuous glucose monitoring) device, then you may be concerned about taking the sensor through airport security or onto a plane. However, you should be able to take your sensor and other essential products you may need to manage your diabetes. We’d recommend contacting the airport and airline you will be flying with so you can make them aware that you have diabetes and will need to take supplies with you, so they can give you more information about their policies in this area and help you to navigate the airport security process properly when you’re there. You should also carry documentation from your doctor or nurse which explains your condition and further information about the device you’re carrying. For more information about this, you should speak to your doctor or another health care professional.
How do I remove the Freestyle Libre Sensor?
To remove the sensor, use an adhesive remover or use a baby oil such as Johnson’s Baby Oil to help remove the sensor.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here
If you are concerned about addiction of 'over the counter' medication we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice
- SENSOR SIZE 5 mm height and 35 mm diameter SENSOR WEIGHT 5 grams SENSOR POWER SOURCE 1 silver oxide battery SENSOR LIFE Up to 14 days SENSOR MEMORY 8 hours (glucose reading stored every 15 minutes) SENSOR OPERATING TEMPERATURE 10°C to 45°C SENSOR APPLICATOR AND SENSOR PACK STORAGE TEMPERATURE 4°C to 25°C OPERATING AND STORAGE RELATIVE HUMIDITY 10%-90%, non-condensing SENSOR WATER RESISTANCE IP27: Can withstand immersion into one meter (3 ft) of water up to 30 minutes OPERATING AND STORAGE ALTITUDE -381 meters(-1,250 ft) to 3048 meters(10,000 ft)
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist 4 U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here