What is Chlorhexidine Mouthwash?
Chlorhexidine mouthwash is an antiseptic mouthwash that helps to treat and prevent gum problems, including gingivitis and mouth ulcers. It kills bacteria in your mouth, combating the cause of gum disease and treating it at the source.
What is gingivitis?
Gingivitis is an early stage of gum disease and it is a very common condition that most people will suffer with at some point in their lifetime. It happens when harmful plaque bacteria build up on your teeth and gums, causing irritation that leads to gum disease. Plaque can usually be removed by brushing, but a build-up can happen between the teeth and along the gum line. If you have gingivitis, you may notice some of the following symptoms:
- Your gums bleed when you brush your teeth
- Bad breath
How will this mouthwash help to treat my gingivitis?
This mouthwash uses the active ingredient Chlorhexidine Gluconate, which is an antimicrobial medication. This means that this mouthwash works as an antiseptic, killing the harmful bacteria in your mouth that cause gingivitis or gum disease and several other oral conditions.
What else can Chlorhexidine Gluconate be used for?
Some of the other conditions that Chlorhexidine Gluconate can help to treat include:
- Mouth ulcers
- Oral thrush
- Denture sore mouth
- As a mouthwash before dental surgery
Can I use this product if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding you should speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before using this Chlorhexidine Mouthwash or any other medicated product. Some medications may not be safe for you or your child during pregnancy or breastfeeding, and a medical professional can help you to find a solution that is right for you.
Can I use this mouthwash if I am taking any other medications?
Speak to your doctor, dentist, or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before using this product if you are taking any other medication. Some medicines can interact with each other, making them less effective or causing unpleasant side effects.
How to use Chlorhexidine Mouthwash
Fill the cap up to the 10ml line with Chlorhexidine Gluconate Mouthwash. Use mouthwash to rinse your mouth thoroughly for one minute. Spit out the mouthwash after use, do not swallow.
- To treat gingivitis, use this product for one month
- For mouth ulcers and oral thrush, continue using this mouthwash for 2 days after the condition has healed
- For denture sore mouth, clean and soak your dentures in this mouthwash for 15 minutes, twice a day. For best results, do this once in the morning and once in the evening
- If you are using this product before dental surgery, rinse thoroughly for 1 minute using 10ml of mouthwash
Should I brush my teeth after using this mouthwash?
Some toothpaste can stop some of the ingredients of this mouthwash from working, so you should brush your teeth before using this product or use this product at a different time of day.
When should Chlorhexidine Gluconate not be used?
Do not use this mouthwash if you are allergic to Chlorhexidine Gluconate or any of the other listed ingredients. For oral use only, do not swallow this mouthwash. Avoid contact with eyes and ears. If you do accidentally get this product into your eyes or ears, rinse immediately with clean water.
Does this product have any side effects?
Like all medications, Chlorhexidine Mouthwash can have side effects, although not everyone will experience them. These include:
- Signs of a severe allergic reaction, including swelling of the lips or throat, low blood pressure, dermatitis, itching, redness, eczema, rash, hives, skin irritation, blisters
- Skin rash, swelling of the salivary glands which will disappear when treatment is stopped
- Discolouration of the teeth, tongue, or fillings, this is not permanent and can usually be removed by brushing
- Chemical burns may happen very rarely if you apply this product to the skin of newborn babies or infants
- Change in the way things taste, burning sensation when using this mouthwash. This usually disappears as you continue to use this product
- Peeling of the surface layer of skin in the mouth. If this happens, dilute mouthwash with the same amount of water during use
If you experience these or any other side effects while using this product, stop use and speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist immediately. For more information about reporting the side effects of medication, please see the MHRA’s Yellow Card Scheme.
How to store this mouthwash
Store in a cool, dry place. Keep out of sight and reach of children. Do not use this product if the expiry date printed on the bottle has passed.
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about an addiction to 'over the counter' medication, we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
- Chlorhexidine Gluconate 0.2% w/v, ethanol, sorbitol, macrogol glycerol hydroxystearate, flavour E2309 10 N1, ponceau 4R E124 (red colouring) and purified water.
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist 4 U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here