What is Corsodyl Alcohol-Free Mouthwash?
Corsodyl Alcohol-Free Mouthwash is a medicated mouthwash that is designed to help to treat gum disease. This mouthwash is alcohol-free and has a pleasant mint flavour, making it the ideal choice for those who want to treat or prevent gingivitis.
What is gingivitis (gum disease)?
Gum disease, which is also known as gingivitis when in its early stages, is a common dental condition which happens when plaque builds up on your teeth. When you have gum disease you may notice that your gums bleed when you brush your teeth and that you have bad breath. If you don’t treat your gingivitis, you may find that it becomes worse and could eventually lead to your teeth falling out.
How will this mouthwash help to treat early signs of gum disease?
Corsodyl Alcohol-Free Mouthwash contains the active ingredient chlorhexidine digluconate. This is an antibacterial agent, which helps to reduce the production of dental plaque in the mouth. This means that this mouthwash can be used to both treat and prevent gum disease, as well as manage mouth ulcers, oral thrush, and denture sore mouth, and maintain mouth hygiene.
How to use Corsodyl Alcohol-Free Mouthwash
Fill the cap to the 10ml line with Corsodyl Alcohol-Free Mouthwash. Rinse thoroughly for around 1 minute and then spit out, do not swallow. Do this twice a day. For gum disease, repeat this treatment for a month. For more information about how to treat other oral conditions, please read the patient information leaflet.
When should Corsodyl Alcohol-Free Mouthwash not be used?
Corsodyl Alcohol-Free Mouthwash is not suitable for use by children under the age of 12. Do not use this product if you are allergic to chlorhexidine digluconate or any of the other listed ingredients. Do not use this mouthwash anywhere other than in your mouth, avoid contact with eyes or ears. Do not use immediately after brushing your teeth, tubes of toothpaste can stop Corsodyl Alcohol-Free Mouthwash from working. Do not swallow this product.
Does this product have any side effects?
Like all medicines, Corsodyl Alcohol-Free Mouthwash can have side effects, although not everybody will get them. These side effects include:
- Symptoms of a severe allergic reaction, e.g. rash, swelling of the lips, tongue, throat, or face, difficulty breathing
- Irritation of the mouth, soreness or swelling of the inside of the cheeks. This should go away when treatment is stopped
- Temporary staining of the tongue
- Temporary staining of the teeth, this can usually be removed by brushing
- Change of taste or burning sensation which usually goes away with continued use
- Peeling of the skin inside the mouth
If you experience these or any other side effects while using this product, speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist.
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
After using corsodyl my gums are burning
Chlorhexidine is active against various bacteria, viruses, bacterial spores and fungi. It kills the micro-organisms associated with various mouth and throat infections, and other common conditions in the mouth. This includes the Candida albicans fungi that cause thrush infection in the mouth, and bacteria that may infect mouth ulcers or other sore areas in the mouth, for example following dental surgery. Infection of these areas increases discomfort and delays healing
The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with Corsodyl mouthwash. Just because a side effect is stated here doesn't mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.
- Temporary taste disturbance.
- Burning, tingling or numb sensation on the tongue.
- Dry mouth.
- Temporary staining of the tongue (goes away when you stop using the mouthwash).
- Brown staining of the teeth. This is not permanent and can largely be avoided by brushing the teeth with toothpaste (but see above), or in the case of dentures, using a conventional denture cleaner. Avoiding drinking tea, coffee or red wine, especially in the hour after using the mouthwash, can also help prevent staining. Where normal brushing is not possible, or if any staining remains, your teeth may need scaling and polishing by your dentist after you've finished using the mouthwash.
- Peeling of the inside of the mouth.
- Swelling of the salivary glands.
- If the mouthwash causes soreness, irritation or swelling in your mouth, or any breathing difficulties, you should stop using it and get advice from your pharmacist, doctor or dentist.
Does this contain Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS)? Can you list the ingredients please?
Active Ingredient: Chlorhexidine Digluconate 0.2% w/v.
Other Ingredients: Glycerol, Macrogolglycerol Hydroxystearate, Sorbitol Liquid (Non-Crystallising), Peppermint Flavour and Purified Water. Macrogolglycerol Hydroxystearate may cause skin reactions
There is no Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS), as far as I can see.
Can I use Corsodyl mouthwash for oral Lichen Planus?
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Express UK Delivery - £4.95** - Delivery within 1-2 working days.
Temperature Controlled Delivery - £8.85 - Delivery within 1-3 working days.
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
*Excluding refrigerated products and treatments which are subject to different postage charges.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist4U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here