What are Nurofen Express 400mg Capsules?
Nurofen Express 400mg Capsules are painkillers which provide rapid relief from various aches and pains, as well as helping to ease inflammation and swelling.
What can Nurofen Express be used for?
These liquid capsules can be used to relieve:
- Headaches and migraines.
- Dental pain and neuralgia.
- Period pain.
- Rheumatic, muscular and back pain.
- Cold and flu.
- Pain from non-serious arthritis.
How does Nurofen Liquid Capsules work?
The active ingredient in Nurofen Express is Ibuprofen which belongs to a group of medicines known as Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs). NSAIDs provide relief by changing the body’s response to pain, swelling and high temperature.
How to take Nurofen Express.
This product is for short term use only and you should take the lowest dose for the shortest necessary time.
Adults, the elderly and children/adolescents between 12 and 18 years:
Take 1 capsule with a sip of water up to three times a day, as required. Leave at least 4 hours between doses. Do NOT take more than 3 capsules in 24 hours.
Do Not give to children under the age of 12.
When to see a doctor.
Children and adolescents between 12 and 18 years:
If symptoms do not improve or worsen after 3 days, seek medical advice from your GP.
Adults aged over 18.
Do NOT take for longer than 10 days, unless advised by a doctor. If symptoms persist for longer than 10 days, seek advice from your GP or a Chemist 4 U Pharmacist.
Always adhere to the stated dose. If you accidentally take more than you should or a child ingests this medicine by mistake, consult your GP or go to your nearest hospital.
Symptoms of overdose include:
- Stomach pain.
- Vomiting (may be blood-streaked).
- Ringing in ears.
- Chest pain.
- Loss of consciousness.
- Blood in the urine.
- Cold body feeling.
- Breathing problems.
Like all medicines, Nurofen Express Liquid Capsules can cause side effects, although not everyone will experience.
If you develop any of the following symptoms, discontinue using this product and seek immediate medical advice:
Signs of intestinal bleeding:
- Bright red stools (poo)
- Black tar-like stools.
- Vomiting blood or dark particles that look like coffee grounds.
- Difficulties in breathing or unexplained wheezing.
- Dizziness or fast heartbeat
- Severe skin reaction (rashes, itchiness, peeling, flaking or blistering).
- Swelling of the face or throat.
- Skin rash.
- Swelling of lymph nodes.
- Increase of eosinophils (a type of white blood cell).
Signs of a serious allergic reaction:
Dress Syndrom (severe skin reaction):
Please refer to the Patient Information Leaflet before using this product for a full list of possible side-effects and what to do if you experience them.
Why do I have to answer questions to buy this product?
Although you do not need a prescription to purchase Nurofen Express Liquid Capsules, you will be asked to complete a short medical questionnaire by a Chemist 4 U pharmacist before we can take your order. This involves some simple questions that all pharmacies legally are required to ask before supplying this kind of product. This helps our pharmacy team to be sure that this product is the best choice for you.
When should this product NOT be used?
Do NOT use this Nurofen Express if you:
- Are allergic to Ibuprofen, aspirin or any other painkillers.
- Are allergic to any of the other ingredients in this medicine (see ingredients tab for full list).
- Have (or have had to or more episodes of) a stomach ulcer, perforation or bleeding.
- Have had a worsening of asthma, skin rash, itchy/runny notes or facial swelling when previously taking ibuprofen, aspirin or similar medicines.
- Have had gastrointestinal bleeding or perforation when previously taking NSAIDs.
- Are taking other NSAID painkillers or more than 75mg aspirin a day.
- Have severe liver or kidney problems.
- Have heart problems, high blood pressure or blood coagulation disorder.
- Have breathing difficulties.
- Are in the last 3 months of pregnancy.
- Are under 12 years of age.
Check with your doctor or a Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you:
- Have or have had asthma.
- Have kidney, heart, liver or bowel problems.
- Have high cholesterol or previously have had a heart attack/stroke.
- Have a history of gastrointestinal disease (such as ulcerative colitis, Chron’s disease).
- Have Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (a condition of the immune system causing joint pain, skin changes and other organ disorders).
- Are a smoker.
- Are in the first 6 months of pregnancy.
Taking Nurofen Express with other medicines.
To reduce the risk of side effects, do NOT take this product with other NSAID containing products (e.g. aspirin, ibuprofen).
Avoid taking this product with:
- Corticosteroid tablets.
- Quinolone antibiotics.
- Medicines that are anti-coagulants.
- Medicines that stimulate the heart.
- Medicines that reduce high blood pressure.
- Diuretics (medicines that help pass water).
- Medicines that temporarily suppress your immune system.
- Drugs used to treat mania or depression.
- Medicine used for pregnancy termination.
- HIV treatment.
Check with your doctor or a Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this medicine if you are unsure whether this medicine is suitable for you. Always check the label for full information before taking any medication.
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about addiction to 'over the counter' medication, we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
- Each capsule contains: Active ingredients: 400mg Ibuprofen. Other Ingredients: Macrogol 600, Potassium hydroxide 50% solution (E525), Gelatin, Sorbitol Liquid, Partially Dehydrated (E420), Purified Water, Ponceau 4R (E124), Lecithin (E322), Triglycerides (medium chain), Ethanol, White ink (Titanium Dioxide (E171), Polyvinyl Acetate Phthalate, Macrogol 400, Ammonium hydroxide (E527), Propylene Glycol).
Best Treatments for Headaches and Migraines
Can I Take Two Painkillers at Once?
Sometimes when you take painkillers you find that although they make your headache, backache, or whatever your aches and pains you’re trying to treat a bit better, they don’t quite do the job.
This is when you might consider picking up another painkiller to try to kick that pain to the curb. But how do you know if this is safe? Can you take more than one painkiller at once?
If you’ve ever looked into your medicine cabinet and asked yourself one of these questions then you’ve come to the right place.
Do You Have a Headache or a Migraine?
Headaches and migraines are a real pain in the neck, or well, a pain in the head, but how do you know if you’re dealing with a migraine or a headache?
Both of them cause a lot of pain in your head, but what is the difference between the two?
If you’re not sure whether the head pain that’s making you feel extra grumpy every Monday morning is a headache or a migraine then you’re in luck, as we’re about to break down what makes the two so different.
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist 4 U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here