What are Nexium Control Capsules?
Nexium Control Capsules are an effective treatment for heartburn and acid reflux. The capsules contain 20mg of the active ingredient esomeprazole magnesium trihydrate which works by reducing the amount of acid produced in the stomach. The medicine can be used by adults for the short term treatment of reflux symptoms. If you’re looking for effective relief from acid reflux and heartburn try Nexium Control Capsules.
What causes heartburn?
Heartburn is a symptom of indigestion that causes a burning sensation behind the breastbone. It occurs when stomach acid passes from the stomach into your oesophagus. Heartburn is usually experienced after eating or drinking and although it can be uncomfortable, it isn’t usually a sign of something serious. Other symptoms of indigestions include:
- Feeling uncomfortably full or heavy
- Belching or flatulence (passing wind)
- Bringing food or fluid back up from the stomach
- Feeling sick (nausea)
There are many factors that can cause heartburn including:
- A side effect of medications
- Stress or anxiety
How can Nexium Control help to treat heartburn?
Nexium Control contains the active substance esomeprazole which belongs to a group of medicines known as proton pump inhibitors. This active ingredient works by reducing the amount of acid that your stomach produces. It can be used by adults over the age of 18 for the short-term treatment of heartburn and acid reflux. Nexium is not intended for immediate relief of heartburn. You may have to take the capsules for 2-3 days in a row before you begin to feel better.
How to use this product
Always take this product exactly as described in the patient information leaflet or as instructed by your doctor or a Chemist4U pharmacist. You can take the capsule at any time of the day either with food or on an empty stomach. Swallow the capsule whole with half a glass of water. Do NOT chew, crush or open the capsule. This is because the capsule contains coated pellets, which stop the medicine from being broken down by the acid in your stomach.
The recommended dose is one capsule a day. Do NOT take more than this recommended dose, even if you don’t feel an improvement immediately. You may need to take the capsules for 2 - 3 days in a row before your reflux symptoms. The treatment length is up to 14 days. You should stop taking this medicine when your reflux symptoms have completely gone. If your symptoms do not improve after taking this medicine for 14 days in a row, you should consult a doctor.
If you take more Nexium Control than recommended, talk to your doctor or pharmacist straight away. You may experience symptoms such as diarrhoea, stomach ache, constipation, feeling or being sick and feeling weak. If you forget a dose of Nexium, take it as soon as you remember it, on the same day. Do NOT take a double dose to make up for a forgotten dose.
When NOT to use Nexium
Do NOT take this product if you are allergic to any of the ingredients (see ingredients tab for full list) or if you are:
- Allergic to medicines containing other proton pump inhibitors
- Taking a medicine containing nelfinavir (used to treat HIV)
- Under the age of 18
Speak to your doctor before taking this medicine if:
- You have had a stomach ulcer or stomach surgery in the past
- You have been taking treatment continuously for reflux or heartburn for 4 or more weeks
- You have jaundice
- You have severe kidney problems
- You are aged over 55 years and have new or recently changed reflux symptoms or need to take a non-prescription indigestion or heartburn remedy treatment every day
- You have ever had a skin reaction after treatment with a medicine similar to Nexium control that reduces stomach acid
- You are due to have an endoscopy or a urea breath test
- You are due to have a specific blood test
Speak to a doctor immediately before or after taking this medicine, if you notice any of the following symptoms which could be a sign of another, more serious disease:
- You lose a lot of weight for no reason
- You have problems or pain when swallowing
- You get stomach pain or signs of indigestion, such as nausea, fullness, bloating especially after food intake
- You begin to vomit food or blood, which may appear as dark coffe grounds in your vomit
- You pass black stools (blood stained faeces)
- You have severe or persistant diarrhoea, esomeprazole has been associated with a small increased risk of infectious diarrhoea
- You get a rash on your skin, especially in areas exposed to the sun, tell your doctor as soon as you can, as you may need to stop your treatment with Nexium Control. Remember to also mention any other ill-effects like pain in your joints.
Can you take this product with other medicines
Speak to your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medicines. This is because this medicine can affect the way some medicines work and some medicines can have an effect on how Nexium works. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any of the following medicines:
- Ketoconazole and itraconazole
- Atazanavir, saquinavir
- Citalopram, imipramine or clomipramine
- Medicines that are used to thin your blood, such as warfarin - your doctor may need to monitor you when you start or stop taking Nexium Control
- St. John’s Wort
Can this product cause side effects?
Like all medicines, Nexium can cause side effects, although not everybody will experience them. If you notice any of the following serious side effects discontinue use immediately and seek advice from a doctor immediately:
- Sudden wheezing
- Swelling of your lips, tongue and throat
- Difficulties swallowing
- Reddening of the skin with blisters or peeling, including blisters or bleeding on the lips, eyes, mouth nose and genitals
- Yellow skin
- Dark urine
Common side effects include:
- Effects on your stomach or gut: diarrhoea, stomach ache, constipation, wind (flatulence)
- Feeling sick (nausea) or being sick (vomiting)
- Benign growths in the stomach
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about addiction to 'over the counter' medication, we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
The active substance is esomeprazole. Each gastro-resistant hard capsule contains 20 mg esomeprazole (as magnesium trihydrate).
The other ingredient(s) are: glycerol monostearate 40-55, hydroxypropylcellulose, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, methacrylic acid - ethyl acrylate copolymer (1:1) dispersion 30 per cent, polysorbate 80, sugar spheres (sucrose and maize starch), talc, triethyl citrate, carmine (E120), indigo carmine (E132), titanium dioxide (E171), yellow iron oxide (E172), erythrosine (E127), allura red AC (E129), povidone K-17, propylene glycol, shellac, sodium hydroxide, and gelatin (see section 2, “Nexium Control contains sucrose”.)
Everything you Need to Know About Heartburn and Acid Reflux
Okay, let’s be honest, we’ve all been guilty of overindulging on delicious food at one point or another in our lives.
But what happens when you start to feel that creeping, burning feeling in your chest that tells you that you’re about to suffer with some major heartburn afterwards? And what is heartburn anyway?
Today we’re going to have a good look at what heartburn is and what you can do to keep it away.
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist 4 U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here