What is fluconazole and when is it used?
Fluconazole 150mg capsule is a treatment which can be used for vaginal thrush (Candidal vaginitis), thrush affecting the penis (Candidal balanitis), and other kinds of fungal infections throughout the body. It belongs to a class of drugs called azole antifungals and works by stopping the growth of certain types of fungus. This means that fluconazole works for thrush by targeting the source of infection, working quickly and effectively to provide relief.
What are the symptoms of thrush?
Thrush has many common symptoms that you may notice if you are suffering from this condition. Some of the most common symptoms of thrush include:
- A white, cottage cheese-like discharge
- Itching around the outside of the vagina
- Soreness, redness, or irritation of the penis or vagina
- Stinging or soreness while peeing or during sex
How will Fluconazole work for thrush?
Vaginal thrush is the common term for a fungal infection that affects your vagina with a type of fungi called Candida Albicans. This infection causes a white discharge and inflammation inside and around your vagina. In men, penile thrush causes soreness and redness of the penis, tightness of the foreskin, or white, odourless discharge.
Fluconazole targets the Candida fungi causing the thrush infection by interfering with their cell membranes. It works by stopping the fungi from producing a substance called ergosterol, which is an essential component of fungal cell membranes. The disruption in production of ergosterol causes holes to appear in the fungal cell membrane, keeping them from thriving and helping to restore the balance of natural bacteria in your body.
What causes thrush?
Thrush is caused when the delicate balance between the good bacteria and natural yeasts that live in the body is disrupted. This can happen for several reasons, including:
- Some medicines and antibiotics
- Sexual activity
- Perfumed soap, shower gels or bubble baths
- Wearing tight clothing
Can I buy fluconazole over the counter?
You do not need a prescription for fluconazole, however, you will be asked to complete a short medical questionnaire by your Chemist4U pharmacist before we can take your order. This includes some simple questions that all pharmacies legally are required to ask before supplying this kind of product. This helps our pharmacy team to be sure that this product is the best choice for you.
What is the recommended dosage of this treatment?
This is a single dose treatment, so you should take one tablet with a sip of water. Your fungal infection should start to clear up within a few days – some notice an improvement in just one day.
Can I take this product while I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
If you are pregnant, think you may be pregnant, or are breastfeeding, you should speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medication, and fluconazole is no different. You should not take this product while pregnant or breastfeeding unless your doctor has specifically told you to.
When should this medication not be used?
Fluconazole capsules are not suitable for use by children under the age of 16 or adults over the age of 60. Do not use this product if you are allergic to fluconazole, other medications which treat fungal infections, or any of the other listed ingredients in this medicine. Some medicines should not be taken at the same time as fluconazole, as they can interact and cause unwanted effects, for a full list of which medications should not be used with this product please read the patient information leaflet. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this product if you:
- Are taking any other medication
- Have had thrush more than twice in the past 6 months
- Have any disease or illness affecting your liver or kidneys, or have had unexplained jaundice
- Have a condition that can affect the rhythm of your heartbeat
- Suffer from any other chronic disease or illness
- Or your partner have had exposure to a sexually transmitted disease (STD)
- Are unsure about the cause of your symptoms
- Develop signs of ‘adrenal insufficiency’, where the adrenal glands do not produce adequate amounts of hormones such as cortisol, causing symptoms such as chronic fatigue, muscle weakness, loss of appetite, weight loss, abdominal pain
- Are pregnant, think you may be pregnant or are breastfeeding
- Have abnormal or irregular vaginal bleeding, or blood-stained discharge
- Have irregular penile discharge or leakage
- Have sores, ulcers, or blisters
- Are suffering from lower abnormal pain or burning when passing urine
- Your penis has started to smell
Does Fluconazole cause any side effects?
Like all medicines, fluconazole can have side effects, although not everybody will get them. Stop using this product and seek medical advice immediately if you experience any symptoms of a severe allergic reaction:
- Wheezing, difficulty breathing, tightness in the chest
- Swelling of the face, throat, eyelids, or lips
- Itching, redness of the skin, itchy red spots
- Skin rash
- Severe skin reactions, such as rashes that cause blistering that can affect the mouth and tongue
Other side effects that you may experience include:
- Signs of liver problems, e.g. tiredness, loss of appetite, vomiting, yellowing of skin or whites of the eyes (jaundice)
- Signs of adrenal problems, e.g. tiredness, muscle weakness, loss of appetite, weight loss, abdominal pain
- Stomach discomfort, diarrhoea, vomiting, feeling sick
- Increase in blood tests of liver function
If you experience these or any other side effects while taking fluconazole capsules, stop use and speak to your doctor or pharmacist right away. For more information about reporting the side effects of medication, please see the MHRA’s Yellow Card Scheme.
How to store this product
Store in a cool, dry place. Do not use this product if the expiry date printed on the original packaging has passed. Keep out of sight and reach of children.
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about an addiction to 'over the counter' medication we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Express UK Delivery - £4.95** - Delivery within 1-2 working days.
Temperature Controlled Delivery - £8.85 - Delivery within 1-3 working days.
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
*Excluding refrigerated products and treatments which are subject to different postage charges.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist4U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here