What is Bimuno® Travelaid?
Bimuno® Travelaid is a daily fibre supplement that contains Galactooligosaccharides (GOS) which encourages the growth of good bacteria in the gut. Scientific data shows that daily use of Bimuno® increases gut bifidobacterial levels within 7 days. The chewable pastilles are specifically designed for when you are travelling/
What is gut health and why is it important?
The ‘gut’ is another word for the gastrointestinal or digestive tract, which begins in your mouth and ends at your rectum. There has been a lot of research lately into gut health and its importance which has resulted in lots of different opinions on what the definition of ‘gut health’ should be. Here is a brief overview of why our gut health is important.
What is a gut microbiome?
Put simply, the gut microbiome is the balance of microorganisms, many of which are bacteria that live in our digestive tract
- There are around 300-500 species of bacteria in our gut
- Responsible for many things in the body, including aiding digestion, regulating bile and vitamin levels as well as supporting the immune system
- An imbalance in gut bacteria has been found to contribute to chronic diseases such as IBS, diabetes and some cancers
- Studies have shown links between our gut microbiome and mental health, cholesterol levels and obesity.
- A healthy gut should have a wide variety of good bacteria and should not contain high levels of bacteria
How do you know if you have an unhealthy gut?
An unhealthy or unbalanced gut can show itself in many ways including:
- An upset stomach or changes in your bowel movements
- Gas or bloating
- Tiredness or problems sleeping
- Skin problems
- Food sensitivity
If you have concerns about any of these symptoms or are experiencing them and you’re not sure why, seek advice from your GP.
How can you keep your gut healthy?
- Eat more whole foods, such as nuts, whole grains, pulses, fruit and vegetables, which contain lots of fibre
- Cut back on processed foods as they are high in salt, sugar, fat and additives which can all disrupt your gut microbiome by adding bad bacteria
- Eat mindfully and regularly to promote good digestion
- Reduce your stress levels as stress can unbalance your digestive tract
- Sleep well as a lack of sleep can interfere with your metabolism and your digestive processes
- Drink less alcohol as it can cause your stomach to produce more acid which upsets the balance of your gut microbiome
- Prebiotics and supplements can contribute to the levels of good bacteria in the gut as part of a balanced and varied diet. Bimuno® encourages the growth of this bacteria and contributes to your daily fibre intake.
What is in Bimuno®?
This product contains the unique, active ingredient Galactooligosaccharides (GOS) which is derived from lactose, a component of cow’s milk. It contains no artificial colourings or flavourings and is gluten-free.
How does Bimuno® Travelaid work?
The active ingredient (GOS) passes through the gastrointestinal tract until it reaches the colon. Here the good bacteria in the gut ferments the GOS in Bimuno® which stimulates their own growth which leads to competition for space with bad bacteria in the gut. The more space taken up by good bacteria, the less space there is for bad bacteria.
This product specifically targets bifidobacteria, which is a good type of bacteria that digests fibre and other complex carbohydrates that our bodies cannot digest on its own. When taken daily, Bimuno® has been scientifically proven to increase levels of bifidobacteria within just 7 days†.
†Scientific data shows that daily use of Bimuno® increases gut bifidobacteria levels within 7 days. Everybody’s gut is different so timing and degree of change may vary.
Who is this product for?
This product is for anyone who is looking to improve their gut health and increase their daily fibre intake.
Who is this product suitable for?
Seek medical advice before taking
Children aged 4 years and over (under adult supervision)
Children under 4 years of age
Pregnant or breastfeeding women (seek advice from your GP or healthcare professional before taking any new medicines, vitamins or supplements)
Diabetics (due to the sugar content)
ALWAYS check the label before taking a new medicine or supplement to ensure that the product is suitable for you. If you are unsure, speak to your GP or a Chemist 4 U pharmacist.
How to take Bimuno® Travelaid Sachets
Adults and children over 4 years of age: Take 3 pastilles, chewing each separately and completely before swallowing. Take the pastilles at the same time every day for 7 days before your travel and then each day you are away.
Small pastilles can be a choking hazard. Always supervise small children taking this product.
What to expect when taking Bimuno?
When you take Bimuno® for the first time, it will take 3 days to start feeding your bifidobacteria.
- Days 4-7: You may experience some gurgling in your gut. This is a good sign as it means Bimuno® is beginning to change your microbiome (the bacteria, yeast and fungi in your gut).
- Days 8-14: Your microbiome is now changed and Bimuno is feeding and nurturing your beneficial bacteria.
When NOT to use this product
Do NOT use this product if you are allergic to any of the listed ingredients (see ingredients tab for full list). This product is NOT suitable for vegetarians or vegans due to the use of lactose and gelatin which are animal products. Although Bimuno® is derived from natural sources, it is not suitable for everyone. Always check the label before use and seek medical advice if you have a pre-existing medical condition or pregnant/breastfeeding. Do NOT exceed the recommended dose.
You may experience some stomach gurgling and rumbling during the first week of taking Bimuno®, which will subside. If you notice any stomach discomfort or allergic reaction, discontinue use and seek immediate medical advice.
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about addiction to 'over the counter' medication, we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
- Galactooligosaccharides (milk), Lactose (milk), Glucose (milk), Galactose (milk), Gelatin, Glazing Agent (coconut oil, vegetable fats, carnauba wax)
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist 4 U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here