Just a few questions from our Pharmacist before you checkout to make sure this medicine is safe for you.
What is Treclin Gel?
Treclin is an acne treatment that is applied directly to the skin. It contains an antibiotic and a retinoid to reduce the appearance and uncomfortable symptoms of acne. It works by limiting the growth of bacteria that causes acne, reducing sebum (oil) production and reduces inflammation. This treatment is suitable for adults and children aged 12 and over, but you will require a prescription. If you’re looking for an effective acne treatment, speak to one of our prescribers or fill in one of our quick consultation questionnaires to discover if Treclin Gel is suitable to treat your symptoms.
How to use this medicine
Always use this medicine exactly as described by your doctor. The recommended dose is a pea-sized amount of Treclin applied once daily at bedtime.
- Wash your face gently with mild soap and warm water and pat your skin dry with a towel.
- Squeeze a pea-sized amount of gel onto the fingertip
- Dab the gel on your forehead, chin, nose and both cheeks and then gently spread it evenly over your whole face
Do NOT use more than the amount that has been recommended by your doctor or apply the product more frequently than instructed. Too much medication may irritate the skin and will not give faster or better results.
How long does Treclin Gel take to work?
To get the best results with Treclin, it is necessary to use it correctly and to not stop using it as soon as your acne starts to get better. It may typically take several weeks to have an optimal effect. In some cases, it may take up to 12 weeks. Please contact your doctor if your symptoms persist after 12 weeks.
How do the Clindamycin and Tretinoin in Treclin work to improve symptoms of acne?
Treclin gel contains the active substances Clindamycin and Tretinoin. Clindamycin is an antibiotic which works by limiting the growth of bacteria associated with acne and inflammation. Tretinoin causes normal shedding of skin which clogs the hair follicles in areas with acne. This prevents build-up of oil (sebum) and the formation of spots such as blackheads and whiteheads. The effective formula is applied topically to the skin and is suitable for adults and children aged 12 and over.
What causes acne?
Acne is a common skin condition that most people will experience during their lives. Common symptoms of acne are spots, oily skin and skin that can be painful to touch or hot. Acne can cause different types of spots to develop on the face, back and chest including:
- Blackheads: bumps that are small and black or yelllowish in colour
- Whiteheads: similar to blackheads, but may be firmer and won’t be empty when squeezed
- Papules: small red bumps that may feel tender or sore
- Pustules: similar to papules, but with a white tip in the centre that is caused by a build-up of pus
- Nodules: large hard lumps that can be painful
- Cysts: large pus-filled lumps that look similar to boils and carry the greatest risk of causing permanent scarring
Acne can be caused by a variety of reasons. The most common reason is a change in hormone levels. This can cause glands next to hair follicles to produce more oil (sebum) than normal, which can change the activity of a normally harmless bacterium to become aggressive and cause inflammation and pus.
When NOT to use this medicine
Do NOT use this medicine if you are allergic to any of the ingredients (see ingredients tab for full list) or if you:
- Are pregnant
- Are planning a pregnancy
- Are allergic to clindamycin, tretinoin or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
- Are allergic to lincomycin
- Have chronic inflammatory bowel disease
- Have a history of colitis with past antibiotic use which is characterised by prolonged or significant diarrhoea or abdominal cramps
- Or a member of your family have ever suffered from skin cancer
- Are suffering from acute eczema which is characterised by inflamed, red, dry and scaly skin
- Are suffering from rosacea, a skin disease which affects the face and is characterised by redness, pimples and peeling
- Are suffering from other acute inflammatory conditions of the skin, especially around the mouth
- Are suffering from certain special forms of acne vulgaris, which can be identified by pustular and deep cystic nodular acne lesions
- Avoid contact with the mouth, eyes, mucous membranes and with abraded or eczematous skin
- Be careful when applying to sensitive areas of skin - in case of accidental contact with eyes, rinse with plenty of lukewarm water
- If you are a woman of childbearing potential, you should not use Treclin unless you are using contraception
- If prolonged or significant diarrhoea or abdominal cramps occur, stop using this medicine and speak to your doctor
- If you have atopic eczema, speak to your doctor BEFORE using this medicine
- Exposure to natural or artificial light should be avoided as this medicine can make your skin more sensitive to sunburn
- Talk to your doctor in case an acute inflammation of the skin occurs when using this medicine
- Treclin should not be applied at the same time as other preparations used on skin, including cosmetics
Does Treclin have side effects?
Like all medicines, Treclin can cause side effects, although not everybody will experience them.
Uncommon side effects (may affect up to 1 in 100 people):
- Dry skin
- Increased sebum production
- Photosensitivity reaction
- Scaly rash
- Scaling of the skin
If you experience any discomfort or side effects when using this medicine, discontinue use. If you experience an allergic reaction, discontinue use immediately and seek medical attention.
Do I need a prescription for Treclin Gel?
You do need a prescription for Treclin in the UK. Our healthcare professionals can provide prescriptions if they think this treatment would be right for you and your condition. When you click the button which reads “Start Consultation” at the top of this page, you’ll see a short questionnaire set up by our healthcare team which is designed to help them understand your medical needs. Just like an in-person consultation with your GP, our doctors will assess your answers to their questions and write a prescription for the treatment they think will be best for you. You’ll then be able to pay for your medication and we’ll send it out to you quickly and in discreet packaging.
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist4U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about addiction to 'over the counter' medication, we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
- Clindamycin, Tretinoin
The active substances are clindamycin and tretinoin. 1 g of gel contains 10 mg (1%) clindamycin (as clindamycin phosphate) and 0.25 mg (0.025%) tretinoin.
The other ingredients are purified water, glycerol, carbomers, methyl parahydroxybenzoate (E 218), polysorbate 80, disodium edetate, anhydrous citric acid, propyl parahydroxybenzoate (E 216), butyl hydroxytoluene (E 321), trometamol.
What is Acne? Your Questions Answered
Spot break outs always seem to happen at the worst possible moment, just before a first date, the day you’re getting your photo taken, all of those wonderful occasions when you could really do with not having a huge spot between your eyes.
But do you just have a few spots, or are you suffering with acne?
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Express UK Delivery - £4.95** - Delivery within 1-2 working days.
Temperature Controlled Delivery - £8.85 - Delivery within 1-3 working days.
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
*Excluding refrigerated products and treatments which are subject to different postage charges.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist4U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here