What is Nurofen for Children?
Nurofen for Children is a liquid medicine that can help to ease pain and fever in children. Suitable for children aged between 3 months and 9 years old, Nurofen for Children is available in delicious orange and strawberry flavours and comes with an easy-dosing syringe in every pack. The perfect pain relief medicine for children.
What kinds of symptoms can this product be used for?
Nurofen for Children is a popular remedy that many parents use to ease the pain in their little ones. Some of the most common reasons why parents give their children this product include:
- Teething pain
- A toothache
- Muscular Aches
- A sore throat
- Symptoms of cold and flu
- Post-immunisation fever
How will this product reduce my child’s pain and fever?
Nurofen for Children contains the active ingredient ibuprofen, a popular painkiller that can be used to ease the pain in both adults and children. Ibuprofen is part of a group of drugs known as NSAIDs, which stands for Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs. This means that ibuprofen is a painkiller that can also help to reduce inflammation and swelling and bring down fever or high temperatures.
Can I give this medicine to my child if they’re taking any other medication?
If your child is taking any other medication, you should speak to your doctor or pharmacist before giving them Nurofen. This especially applies to:
- Other NSAIDs, e.g. aspirin, naproxen
- More than 75mg of aspirin a day
- Diuretics, which are used to help you pass water
- Anticoagulants, also known as blood thinners, e.g. warfarin
- Medicines for high blood pressure, e.g. captopril, atenolol, losartan
- Lithium, which is used for mood disorders
- Methotrexate, which is used for psoriasis, arthritis, and types of cancer
- Zidovudine, which is used for HIV
- Corticosteroids, which are anti-inflammatory drugs
- Cardiac glycosides, which are used for heart problems
- Ciclosporin or tacrolimus, which are used to prevent organ rejection after transplant
- Mifepristone, which is used to terminate pregnancy
- Quinolone antibiotics, which are used to treat infections
- Antiplatelet drugs, e.g. dipyridamole, clopidogrel
Can adults take this medicine?
This medication is designed for children between the ages of 3 months and 12 years, but it can be taken by adults too. However, there are pain relief medications which are much more suitable for adults available, so adults should only take this product if they are advised to do so by their doctor or pharmacist. If you are given the go ahead to take this medicine, make sure to read the patient information leaflet included carefully, as it contains extra warnings that adults will need to keep in mind.
How to give this product to your child
Before using this product, shake the bottle well. Push the easy-dosing syringe into the plug in the neck of the bottle. Turn the bottle and syringe upside down, holding the syringe firmly in place. Gently pull down the plunger on the syringe to draw out enough Nurofen for Children medicine to fill the syringe to the correct amount that you need. Turn the bottle the right way up and remove the syringe from the plug. Use the syringe to slowly and gently release the medicine into your child’s mouth, aiming between the cheek and gums and pausing to let your child swallow the medicine if needed.
How much of this medicine should I give to my child?
The amount of Nurofen you should give to your child will differ according to their age and what you’re using this remedy for.
Fever caused by immunisation
Babies and children aged 3 months and over, weighing more than 5KG
One 2.5ml dose up to twice a day
If necessary, the second dose should be given 6 hours after the first dose.
Fever, pain and symptoms of Cold and Flu
Babies and children aged 3 months and over, weighing more than 5KG
One 2.5ml dose 3 times a day.
DO NOT USE FOR MORE THAN 24 HOURS
Do not give to babies aged 3-6 months for more than 24 hours. If symptoms persist after 24 hours or worsen, consult your doctor.
6 months-12 months
One 2.5ml dose 3 or 5 times in 24 hours
1 year – 3 years
One 5m dose 3 times in 24 hours
4 years – 6 years
One 7.5ml (5ml + 2.5ml) dose 3 times in 24 hours
7 years-9 years
One 15ml (5ml+5ml+5ml) dose 3 times in 24 hours
10 years-12 years
One 15ml dose (5ml + 5ml +5ml) dose 3 times in 24 hours
Doses should be given every 6-8 hours.
For Short-term use only
Leave at least 4 hours between each dose and do not take more than the recommended dose within any 24-hour period. This medication is for short-term use only.
When should Nurofen for Children not be used?
Nurofen for Children is not suitable for babies under the age of 3 months or babies who weigh less than 5kg. Do not take this product if you or your child are allergic to ibuprofen, aspirin or other NSAIDs, or any of the other listed ingredients. Do not use Nurofen for Children if you or your child:
- Have ever had a reaction after taking ibuprofen, aspirin, or any other NSAID medicines, e.g. asthma, runny nose, rash, swelling of face, tongue, lips, or throat
- Are taking any other NSAID painkillers, or aspirin with a daily dose of more than 75mg
- Have or have had more than 2 episodes of a stomach ulcer, perforation, or bleeding
- Have severe heart, kidney, or liver failure
- Have inherited problems coping with fructose/fruit sugar, as the body can make some fructose from the ingredient maltitol
- Have a history of stomach bleeding or perforation after taking ibuprofen or other NSAIDs
Speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist if you or your child:
- Have or have had high blood pressure, heart problems, or a stroke
- Have a condition which may put you at risk of heart problems, e.g. diabetes, high cholesterol
- Have asthma or any allergic disease of the lungs
- Have or have had liver, kidney, or bowel problems
- Are dehydrated
- Have SLE (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus)
- Suffer from chronic inflammatory bowel disease, e.g. Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis
- Have chicken pox
Does this product have any side effects?
Like all medicines, Nurofen for Children can have side effects, although not everyone will experience them. If you or your child experience any of the following side effects, stop use and seek immediate medical assistance:
- Blood in the stools, black tarry stools, vomiting blood or dark particles that look like coffee grounds
- Unexplained wheezing, shortness of breath, skin rash, itching or bruising, light-headedness, racing heart, fluid retention
- Stiff neck, nausea, headache, vomiting, fever and disorientation
- Swelling of the face, tongue or throat
- A severe skin reaction known as DRESS, showing symptoms of skin rash, fever, swelling of lymph nodes, increase in a type of white blood cells called eosinophils
If you experience any of the following side effects, stop use and speak to your doctor:
- Unexplained stomach pain, indigestion, heartburn, nausea, vomiting
- Yellowing of the eyes and/or skin (jaundice), pale stools and dark urine
- A severe sore throat with high fever
- Unexplained bruising, tiredness, getting more infections such as colds than usual
- A headache
- Diarrhoea, wind, vomiting, constipation
- Kidney and liver problems
- Stroke or heart problems (unlikely at the dose level given to children)
- Worsening of colitis or Crohn’s disease
- High blood pressure
- Stomach ulcer, bleeding of the stomach, inflammation of the stomach lining
- Serious infections of the skin and soft tissues have occurred during chicken pox
If you or your child experience these or any other side effects while using this product, stop use and speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist right away.
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about addiction to 'over the counter' medication, we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
The active ingredient is Ibuprofen 100 mg per 5ml of medicine.
The other ingredients are: Maltitol liquid, water, glycerol, citric acid, sodium citrate, sodium chloride, sodium saccharin, orange or strawberry flavour, xanthan gum, polysorbate 80, domiphen bromide.
Are there any nurofen or calprofen for toddlers that isn’t sugar free?
Unfortunately, only Calpol make paracetamol suspension in a non-sugar free version. Sugar in food and drinks is responsible for the poor dental health of many children and adults. On the other hand, there is no evidence that the small amount of sugar in medicines has been responsible for any dental problems
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
|Method||Handling Time||Transit Time||Timescale||Approx Cost|
|Standard Shipping (3-5 Working Days)||1||2||3||£2.95|
|Royal Mail Tracked 24||0||1||1||£4.95|
Times are given in working days and are approximate. Costs may change based on order total, day of the week or location within the UK. Ability to hit timescales will depend on whether the products are ordered before a cut off time, as well as additional administration time incurred in reviewing your order.
Please review the estimates at the checkout.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Express UK Delivery - £4.95** - Delivery within 1-2 working days.
Temperature Controlled Delivery - £8.85 - Delivery within 1-3 working days.
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
*Excluding refrigerated products and treatments which are subject to different postage charges.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist4U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here
Nurofen For Children Strawberry Liquid - 100ml Reviews
Advice & Guides
If your little one is sick it can be a worrying time. It’s difficult to see your baby feeling so uncomfortable and unwell, and you’ll be searching for something that can help to nurse them back to health.
Well, to make your life easier we’re going to take a look at some of the most common illnesses your baby could be suffering from and what you can give them to help make it all better.Read More
A high temperature or a fever is very common in children, and it’s typically a sign that their body is fighting an infection, like a cold, chicken pox or tonsillitis. They may also develop a fever after a vaccination – we know, the tears from that painful needle were bad...Read More