What is Imodium Original?
Imodium Original is a treatment which can ease short term diarrhoea and diarrhoea caused by IBS. It helps to reduce the amount of times you need to go to the toilet, easing symptoms of diarrhoea so you can feel better, quickly.
What causes diarrhoea?
This medication treats two different types of diarrhoea, which have different causes. It can be used to treat IBS diarrhoea, which is caused by an attack of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It can also treat short term diarrhoea, which is often caused by stomach bugs or food poisoning. This usually clears up within a few days.
How does Imodium treat my diarrhoea?
Imodium Original contains 2mg of the active ingredient Loperamide in every capsule. This treats diarrhoea by slowing down your overactive bowel, which reduces the amount of times you will need to go to the toilet. This gives your body the time to absorb the water and salts that it usually loses when you have diarrhoea.
Can I take Imodium Original if I’m pregnant or breastfeeding?
If you are pregnant you should speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product, as it may not be suitable for you or your baby at this time.
If you are breastfeeding, do not take this medication, as small amounts of the active ingredient in this product can pass into your breast milk.
Can I take this product if I’m taking other medication?
If you are taking any other medication, including those obtained without a prescription, you should speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking Imodium Original. Some medications can interact when used together, causing unwanted side effects or making your medication less effective. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before using this product if you are taking:
- Ritonavir, which is used to treat HIV
- Quinidine, which is used to treat abnormal heart rhythms or malaria
- Oral desmopressin, which is used to treat excessive urination
- Itraconazole or ketoconazole, which are both used to treat fungal infections
- Gemfibrozil, which is used to treat high cholesterol
Can I drive after using this product?
When you take Imodium Original, you may feel dizzy, drowsy, tired, or faint. You should not attempt to drive or use machinery or tools unless you are absolutely sure that you are not affected in this way.
How to take Imodium Original
To start your treatment, swallow two Imodium Original Capsules with a drink of water, then take one more capsule after each loose bowel movement. Do not take more than 6 capsules in any 24-hour period. Remember to drink more fluids than usual to replace the fluid your body loses when you have diarrhoea.
How long can I take this medicine for?
If you are treating short term diarrhoea, you should not take Imodium Original for more than 48 hours. If your diarrhoea lasts longer than this, stop use and speak to your doctor. If you are treating diarrhoea caused by IBS, you can take this medicine for up to 2 weeks at a time to treat repeated attacks. However, you should not take this product to treat any attack which lasts longer than 48 hours. Speak to your doctor if you attack lasts for more than 48 hours or if your symptoms have not improved after 2 weeks.
When should Imodium Original not be used?
Imodium Original are not suitable for use by children under the age of 12 or IBS patients under the age of 18. Do not use this product if you are allergic to Loperamide or any of the other listed ingredients. Do not use this product if you:
- Have severe diarrhoea after taking antibiotics
- Are having a flare-up of an inflammatory bowel condition, such as ulcerative colitis
- Are constipated or your stomach appears swollen (especially in children with severe dehydration)
- Have acute dysentery, showing symptoms such as blood in your stools, high temperature
Speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before using this product if you:
- Have AIDS and your stomach becomes swollen, stop using this product and speak to your doctor immediately
- Suffer from liver disease
- Have diarrhoea that lasts for more than 48 hours
- Have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars
- Have severe diarrhoea
If you are an IBS patient, speak to your doctor before using this product if you:
- Are aged over 40 and it has been some time since your last IBS attack
- Are aged over 40 and your IBS symptoms are different to usual
- Have recently passed blood from the bowel
- Suffer with severe constipation
- Are feeling sick or vomiting
- Have lost your appetite or lost weight
- Have difficulty or pain when passing urine
- Have a fever
- Have recently travelled abroad
Does this product have any side effects?
Like all medication, Imodium Original can have side effects, although not everyone will experience them. If you experience any of the following side effects, stop use and seek medical help immediately:
- Allergic reactions, e.g. unexplained wheezing, shortness of breath, passing out, swelling of face and throat
- Skin rashes which may be severe and include blistering or peeling of the skin
- Loss of consciousness or reduced level of consciousness, e.g. passing out, feeling faint or less alert, uncoordinated movements
Other side effects include:
- Itchiness, hives
- Stomach pain, swollen stomach
- Difficulty passing water
- Severe constipation
- Narrowing of the pupils of the eye
- Feeling sick, constipation, wind
- Dizziness, drowsiness
- Vomiting, indigestion
- Dry mouth
If you experience these or any other side effects while using this product, stop use and speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist as soon as possible. For more information about reporting the side effects of medication, please see the MHRA’s Yellow Card Scheme.
How to store this medicine
Store in a cool, dry place. Store in original packaging and do not use once the expiry date printed on the packaging has passed. Keep out of sight and reach of children.
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about addiction to 'over the counter' medication, we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
The active ingredient in Imodium ® Original 2mg Capsules is: Loperamide hydrochloride 2 mg per capsule.
Other ingredients are: Lactose, maize starch, talc and magnesium stearate (E572).
The capsule itself is made up of titanium dioxide (E171), black ferrous oxide (E172), yellow ferric oxide (E172), indigo carmine (E132), erythrosine (E127) and gelatin.
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist 4 U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here