What is Calpol Calgel Teething Gel?
Calpol Calgel Teething Gel provides rapid relief from pain and discomfort caused by teething when other non-medicated treatments, such as massaging of the gums or teething rings have not provided effective relief. The soothing gel is suitable for children aged 5 months and over and can be taken alongside Calpol Infant Suspension, if pain and fever relief is required. Calgel contains a mild anaesthetic which quickly soothes your baby’s sore gums. If you’re looking for an effective teething remedy for your child try Calpol Calgel Teething Gel 5+.
How will I know if my baby is teething?
Although some babies can be born with their first teeth, most babies start teething at around 6 months .For some babies, teeth emerge with little to no pain, but for others teething can be a distressing and uncomfortable experience. Your baby may be teething if you notice any of the following symptoms:
- The gum where the tooth is emerging is red and sore
- One of the cheeks may be flushed
- Your baby rubs their ear
- Dribbling more than usual
- Gnawing and chewing
- Your baby may be harder to settle
How can Calgel help to soothe pain during teething?
Calgel contains two active ingredients:
- Lidocaine Hydrochloride
- Cetylpyridinium chloride
Both of these ingredients work together to ease pain and soothe discomfort caused by teething, which can help your child to be more comfortable and easier to settle when non-medicinal methods, such as teething rings haven’t been successful. The gel is easy to apply and is suitable for children aged over 5 months.
How to use this product
This product is for topical use only and is not suitable for children under the age of 5 months. Apply a pea sized blog of gel to a clean fingertip and gently spread onto the sore area of the gum. If necessary, repeat the dose after 3 hours.
- Do NOT use more than 6 times in one day (24 hour period)
- Stop treatment when your child’s symptoms settle
- Do NOT use for more than 7 days for each teething episode
- If your child’s symptoms worsen, do not improve after 7 days of treatment or you are concerned that your child is unwell - see advice from your doctor
- If your child vomits, spits or swallows the medicine do not use any more product immediately - wait 3 hours before using the medicine again
- Always take this medicine exactly as described in this leaflet or as your doctor or pharmacist has told you to
- Do NOT exceed the stated dose
- If you use more Calgel Teething Gel than you should or if large quantities of the gel are accidentally swallowed, speak to your doctor or go to your nearest A & E department
When NOT to use this product
Do NOT give this medicine to your child if they are allergic to any of the ingredients (see ingredients tab for full list) or if your child is under 5 months. Do NOT use this product at the same time as other products containing lidocaine. If your child has an intolerance to some sugars, speak to a doctor or a Chemist4U pharmacist. Always read the label before use.
Can this product cause side effects?
Calgel Teething Gel can have side-effects, like all medicines, although they are rare and are usually mild. Discontinue use immediately and seek medical advice if your child has experienced any of the following:
- Swelling of the mouth, gums or tongue
- Difficulty in breathing
- Inflammation of the skin
- Reddening of the skin
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about an addiction to 'over the counter' medication, we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
- The active ingredients in CALGEL® Teething Gel are: Lidocaine hydrochloride 0.33% w/w and Cetylpyridinium chloride 0.10% w/w. Other ingredients are: Sorbitol solution (70%) (E420), xylitol (E967), ethanol 96%, glycerol, hydroxyethyl cellulose 5000, macrogolglycerol hydroxystearate (castor oil polyoxyl hydrogenated), macrogol lauryl ether 9, macrogol 300, saccharin sodium, levomenthol, pharmaceutical liquid flavour (containing chamomile), caramel (E150), citric acid monohydrate, sodium citrate dihydrate and purified water.
What Medicine Can I Give To My Baby?
If your little one is sick it can be a worrying time. It’s difficult to see your baby feeling so uncomfortable and unwell, and you’ll be searching for something that can help to nurse them back to health.
Well, to make your life easier we’re going to take a look at some of the most common illnesses your baby could be suffering from and what you can give them to help make it all better.
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
|Method||Handling Time||Transit Time||Timescale||Approx Cost|
|Standard Shipping (3-5 Working Days)||1||2||3||£2.95|
|Royal Mail Tracked 24||0||1||1||£4.95|
|Next Day Guaranteed (1 Working Day)||n/a||n/a||n/a||£6.95|
Times are given in working days and are approximate. Costs may change based on order total, day of the week or location within the UK. Ability to hit timescales will depend on whether the products are ordered before a cut off time, as well as additional administration time incurred in reviewing your order.
Please review the estimates at the checkout.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Express UK Delivery - £4.95** - Delivery within 1-2 working days.
Temperature Controlled Delivery - £8.85 - Delivery within 1-3 working days.
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
*Excluding refrigerated products and treatments which are subject to different postage charges.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist4U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here