What is Senokot Senna Laxative?
Sennokot is a natural way to ease your constipation. Ideal for those who want a way to ease their discomfort while using natural ingredients, Sennokot tablets can help to relieve constipation within just a few hours.
Who are Senokot Tablets suitable for?
Senokot tablets are perfect for people over the age of 12 who are suffering with uncomfortable constipation. If you’re struggling to use the bathroom regularly and need a little help to move things along, Senokot is an easy and natural way to take care of your problem.
How will this product help to ease constipation?
Senokot Tablets contain senna, a natural ingredient that comes from the leaves of the senna plant which works as a laxative. It helps to relieve constipation by stimulating the muscles that line your gut, which helps to move any poo along so you can use the toilet. It normally takes around 8 hours to work, which is why it is usually taken before you go to bed.
Are Senokot Tablets suitable for someone who is pregnant or breastfeeding?
No, do not take Senokot if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, always speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking any medication.
How many tablets should I be taking?
Take 1 – 2 Senokot tablets at night. If this is your first time taking this product, start by taking one tablet and then increase to 2 tablets if necessary. Once you are regular again, you can reduce your dosage and then stop. You will normally only need to take these tablets up to 2 – 3 times a week. Do not use for more than 1 – 2 weeks without speaking to your doctor.
When should Senokot Tablets not be used?
Senokot Tablets are not suitable for use by children under the age of 12, unless advised otherwise by a medical professional. Do not take this product if you are allergic to senna or any of the other listed ingredients. This product should not be used for weight loss. Do not take this product if you:
- Have blockage or narrowing of the gastro-intestinal tract or bowel, e.g. ileus, intestinal obstruction, stenosis
- Have paralysis or a lack of muscle tone in the bowel (atony)
- Have appendicitis or an inflammatory bowel disease, e.g. Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis
- Have severe dehydration
- Have persistent or undiagnosed abdominal complaints, e.g. nausea, pain, vomiting
- Have faecal impaction or rectal bleeding for which you do not know the cause, or blood in your stools
- Have already taken a laxative and are still constipated
- Have had a sudden change in bowel habit which has lasted for more than 2 weeks
- Have kidney or heart failure
Speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you:
- Suffer from kidney disorders
- Are taking medicines for a heart condition, medicines inducing QT prologation, diuretics, adrenocorticosteroids, or liquorice preparations
- Have been told that you have an intolerance to some sugars
Are there any side effects?
Like all medicines, these tablets can cause side effects, although not everyone will experience them. These include:
- Abdominal pain, spasms, and diarrhoea, particularly in patients with irritable colon
- Allergic reactions, e.g. hives, skin itchiness, local or widespread rash, asthma
- You become more likely to catch infections
- Chronic use may lead to albumin or red blood cells in the urine
- Yellow or red-brown discolouration of urine, which is harmless
- Chronic use may cause pigmentation of the gastrointestinal tract which usually stops when the product is no longer taken
- Low potassium levels in the blood leading to muscle weakness and/or cramps
- Severe weight loss
- Changes in the shape of the finger and fingernail, muscular spasms, inflammation of the bones and joints
If you do experience these or any other side effects, stop use and speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist as soon as possible.
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist-4-U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about addiction of 'over the counter' medication we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
- • Alexandrian Senna • Tinnevelly Senna • Calcium phosphate • Maize starch • Lactose monohydrate • Magnesium stearate
5 ways to boost your digestion in summer
Why has buying stimulant laxatives become more restricted?
What Can I do if My Baby or Child is Constipated?
Have you gone to change your baby and found that the little present they usually leave for you in their nappy just isn’t there?
Or maybe your child is finding it difficult to go to the toilet and tries to avoid pooping like the plague?
Your child could be suffering with constipation, and today we’re going to find out what that is, why it’s happening, and what you can do to help.
Don’t you just hate blockages? Whether it is in the nose and you struggle to breathe through it and smell, or whether it is a traffic jam caused by an accident that leaves you stuck on the road, they are a pain.
The same can be said about constipation, a simple blockage in the digestive system that can cause a lot of problems. To find the solution to constipation, first, you need to know the cause.
Can I Take My Medication With Me On Holiday?
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Express UK Delivery - £4.95** - Delivery within 1-2 working days.
Temperature Controlled Delivery - £8.85 - Delivery within 1-3 working days.
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
*Excluding refrigerated products and treatments which are subject to different postage charges.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist4U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here