What are Senokot Max Strength tablets?
Senokot Max Strength tablets are stimulant laxatives that can help to relieve your constipation. Take just one tablet before you go to bed to encourage a bowel movement when you’re suffering from constipation and need a way to get things moving again. Senokot Max tablets are ideal for adults who are constipated and are looking for a reliable treatment that uses a natural active ingredient to ease their symptoms.
What is constipation?
Constipation is a condition that means you can’t poo, or find that your poo is more difficult to pass, perhaps because it’s larger or harder than usual. Constipation is very common and it can happen for lots of different reasons, with some of the most common causes including:
- A lack of fibre in your diet
- Being dehydrated
- A change in your diet or lifestyle
- Being inactive or not exercising enough
- Side effects of some medications, such as codeine or morphine
- Ignoring the urge to go to the toilet
How will the senna in Senokot Max Strength ease my constipation?
Senokot Max Strength tablets each contain 15mg of an active ingredient called senna, a natural ingredient which works as a stimulant laxative. Stimulant laxatives work by stimulating the muscles in your bowel, helping to encourage the natural process that moves poo through your system to you can pass it. This system usually works in a few hours, so taking this product before you go to bed will help you to have a bowel movement the following morning, easing your constipation.
Can I take these laxatives if I’m pregnant?
Senokot Max Strength tablets are not suitable for use if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding. Constipation is a common problem during pregnancy, so ask your doctor or pharmacist to recommend a suitable remedy for you if you’re constipated during these times.
Can I take these tablets if I’m taking other medication?
If you’re taking any other medication, including herbal remedies or medicines you obtained without a prescription, you should speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Senokot Max Strength. This especially applies if you are already taking:
- Medicines for a heart condition, such as cardiac glycosides or antiarrhythmic medicines like quinidine
- Medicines inducing QT elongation
- Diuretics, which are also known as water tablets
- Adrenocortico steroids
- Liquorice root preparations
How to take these laxative tablets
Take one Senokot Max Strength tablet at night with a sip of water. You will usually only have to take this product 2 - 3 times a week. Do not use for more than one week and be sure to tell your doctor if your symptoms get worse or if you have not had a bowel movement within 3 days of use
When should this product not be used?
Senokot Max Strength is not suitable for use in children under the age of 18. Do not take this product if you are allergic to senna or any of the other listed ingredients. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this product if you have a kidney disorder. This product contains lactose monohydrate, so make sure to speak to your doctor or pharmacist before use if you have an intolerance to some sugars. Do not take these tablets if you have:
- Blockage or narrowing of your gastrointestinal tract or bowel, such as ileus, intestinal obstruction, or stenosis
- Paralysis or lack of muscle tone in your bowel
- Appendicitis or inflammatory bowel disease, such as Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis
- Severe dehydration
- Persistent or undiagnosed abdominal complaints, for example, pain, nausea, or vomiting
- Faecal impaction, rectal bleeding you do not know the cause of, or blood in your poo
- Already taken a laxative and are still constipated
- A sudden change in bowel habit that has lasted for more than 2 weeks
- Kidney or heart failure
Does Senokot Max Strength have any side effects?
Like all medications, Senokot Max Strength can have side effects, although not everyone will experience them. These side effects include:
- Stomach pain, spasms, and diarrhoea, especially in patients with irritable colon
- Allergic reactions, such as hives, itchiness, rashes, or asthma
- Being more likely to catch infections
- Red blood cells in your urine
- Your urine becoming discoloured, typically looking yellow or red-brown
- Pigmentation of the gastrointestinal tract, this usually goes away when you stop taking this product
- Low potassium levels in the blood causing symptoms like muscle weakness and cramps
- Severe weight loss
- Changes in the shape of your finger and fingernails, muscle spasms, inflammation of the bones and joints
If you experience these or any other side effects while taking this product, stop use and speak to your doctor or pharmacist right away. For more information about reporting the side effects of medication please see the MHRA’s Yellow Card Scheme.
How to store this product
Store in a cool, dry place which is below 25 degrees C. Do not take this product if the expiry date printed on the original packaging has passed. Keep out of sight and reach of children.
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about addiction of 'over the counter' medication we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
Each tablet contains powdered Alexandrian Senna fruit (pods) (Cassia senna L (C. acutifolia Delile)) and Tinnevelly Senna fruit (pods) (Cassia angustifolia Vahl) equivalent to 15mg hydroxyanthracene glycosides, calculated as sennoside B.
This medicine also contains: calcium phosphate, maize starch, magnesium stearate and lactose
Don’t you just hate blockages? Whether it is in the nose and you struggle to breathe through it and smell, or whether it is a traffic jam caused by an accident that leaves you stuck on the road, they are a pain.
The same can be said about constipation, a simple blockage in the digestive system that can cause a lot of problems. To find the solution to constipation, first, you need to know the cause.
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30* - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95* - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
*Excluding refrigerated products and treatments which are subject to different postage charges.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist4U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here