What is Phillips’ Milk of Magnesia?
Phillips’ Milk of Magnesia provides gentle soothing relief for symptoms of indigestion and upset stomach. It can be used for a variety of digestion issues including heartburn and acid reflux by neutralising acid in your stomach. This product can also be used as a laxative to treat constipation. It’s easy to administer and has a delicious mint flavour. If you’re looking for a treatment that can solve a variety of stomach and digestion complaints, try Phillips’ Milk of Magnesia
Milk of Magnesia Uses
Milk of Magnesia can be used for a variety of ailments including acid reflux, indigestion, flatulence (wind), heartburn and stomach discomfort. It can also be used as a laxative to treat uncomfortable symptoms of constipation.
What is indigestion?
Indigestion is a common problem that most people experience from time to time. It can cause discomfort and pain, but is usually not a sign of something serious and can be easily treated. Symptoms of indigestion tend to appear after eating or drinking and can cause a variety of symptoms including:
- Feeling full or bloated
- Feeling sick
- Belching or farting
- Regurgitating fluid or food
- Bitter taste in the mouth
- Acid reflux
Indigestion can happen for a variety of reasons and is usually harmless. Common causes of indigestion include:
- Some medications
- Stress or anxiety
- Hiatus hernia - when part of your stomach pushes up into your diaphragm
What is constipation?
Constipation is an uncomfortable condition that can affect people of all ages which can prevent you from passing regular stools (poo) or completely emptying your vowels. It can also cause your poo to become hard, lumpy or an unusual size. There are many different triggers that can cause constipation including:
- Not eating enough fibre, such as fruit, vegetables and cereals
- A change in your lifestyle, such as your eating habits
- Ignoring the urge to go to the toilet
- Side effects of certain medications
- Anxiety or depression
How can Milk of Magnesia treat digestive problems?
Milk of Magnesia can treat digestive problems by neutralising stomach acid to relieve symptoms of acid reflux, like heartburn. Milk of Magnesia can also act as a hyperosmotic laxative which helps to relieve constipation by causing the intestines to hold more water in order to stimulate bowel movements.
How to take this product
This product is a medicine and should only be taken exactly as described in the patient information leaflet or by a doctor or Chemist4U pharmacist. Shake the bottle well before each use. You may take this product with milk or water if you wish. Ensure you drink plenty of fluid whilst using this product.
Milk of Magnesia Dosage
For indigestion, excess acid, wind, heartburn and stomach discomfort:
- Adults - take 1 - 2 x 5ml spoonfuls and repeat as necessary to a maximum of 12 x 5ml spoonfuls in 24 hours.
- Children - give 1 x 5ml spoonful and repeat as necessary to a maximum of 6 x 5ml spoonfuls in 24 hours
Do NOT use for more than 14 days.
- Adults - take 6 - 9 5ml spoonfuls at bedtime and repeat nightly reducing the dose until constipation is relieved.
- Children aged 3 - 12 years - give 1 - 2 x 5ml spoonfuls at bedtime
Do NOT use for more than 3 days.
Seek advice from your doctor if a daily dose of this medicine is required or if you have persistent abdominal pain.
Do NOT take more than the recommended dose.
Milk of Magnesia Side Effects
Like all medicines this product can cause side effects, although not everyone will experience them. Common side effects of this medicine include watery diarrhoea
Very Rare side effects
- Increased amounts of magnesium in your blood after extended periods of use
Possible side effects (unknown frequency)
- Tummy pain including colic
If you experience any discomfort or painful side effects discontinue use and seek advice from a GP or a Chemist4U pharmacist
When NOT to use this product
Do NOT take this product if you are allergic to any of the ingredients (see ingredients tab for full list) or if you have acute gastrointestinal conditions.
Seek advice from your GP or a Chemist4U pharmacist if you:
- Have kidney problems
- Are taking other medicines
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding
Always read the label before use.
Can you take this product with other medicines?
Seek advice from your doctor or a Chemist4U pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken or might be taking any other medicines. Some medicines may be affected by magnesium hydroxide or may affect the success of magnesium hydroxide. These medicines include:
- Medicines to treat bacterial and fungal infections - cefpodoxime, itraconazole, tetracyclines, ketoconazole, and the quinolone group of antibacterials
- Medicines for viral infections
- Fexofenadine - an antihistamine used for allergies
- Bisphosophonates - alendronate, clofronate, risedronate, ibandronic acid
- Corticosteroids - deflazacort, dexamethasone
- Digoxin - used for heart problems
- Dipyridamole - blood thinner
- Antiepileptics - gabapentin and phenytoin
- Levothyroxine - used to treat underactive thyroid
- Mycophenolate - mainly used to prevent the body rejecting a transplanted organ
- Iron preparations - used to prevent and treat anaemia
- Rosuvastatin - used to treat high cholesterol levels
- Medicines to treat malaria
- Penicillamine - antirheumatic
- Cimetidine - used to treat and prevent certain kinds of ulcers
- Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate - used to reduce high levels of potassium in the blood
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about addiction to 'over the counter' medication, we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
- Magnesium Hydroxide
Everything you Need to Know About Heartburn and Acid Reflux
Okay, let’s be honest, we’ve all been guilty of overindulging on delicious food at one point or another in our lives.
But what happens when you start to feel that creeping, burning feeling in your chest that tells you that you’re about to suffer with some major heartburn afterwards? And what is heartburn anyway?
Today we’re going to have a good look at what heartburn is and what you can do to keep it away.
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Express UK Delivery - £4.95** - Delivery within 1-2 working days.
Temperature Controlled Delivery - £8.85 - Delivery within 1-3 working days.
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
*Excluding refrigerated products and treatments which are subject to different postage charges.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist4U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here