What is Nutramigen 3 with LGG®?
Nutramigen 3 with LGG® is extensively hydrolysed casein-based formula (eHCFs) combined with Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG®) a unique probiotic strain for the dietary management of infants aged from 6 months onwards with mild to moderate cows’ milk allergy. Nutramigen is the only hypoallergenic formula that contains this probiotic.
What is a cow milk allergy?
Cow milk allergy is one of the most common childhood food allergies which is estimated to affect around 7% of babies under 1, though most children grow out of it by the age of 5. It occurs when the body’s immune system recognises the proteins in cows’ milk as a potential threat. This can cause the immune system to be sensitised, which means it will produce a defensive protein (known as an antibody). It is this process that can cause the symptoms of allergic reaction. There are two main types of cow’s milk allergy:
Immediate CMA (Cows’ Milk Allergy)
Where this response from the immune system happens soon after consumption of cows’ milk. This is caused by the immunoglobulin E antibody
(IgE). Symptoms typically begin within minutes after consumption or up to two hours afterwards.
Delayed CMA (Cows’ Milk Allergy)
The response to consuming cows’ milk is much slower and takes more time to occur as it is caused by a different part of the immune system.
This type of reaction is the most common and is known as Non-IgE mediated food allergy. Symptoms tend to develop from 2 hours after consumption but can take
up to 72 hours. If cows’ milk continues to be consumed, the immune system will continue to produce these symptoms.
Symptoms of cow milk allergy include:
- Red itchy rash.
- Swelling of the lips, face and around the eyes.
- Eczema that does not improve with treatment.
- Stomach ache.
Hay Fever-like symptoms:
- Runny nose.
- Nasal congestion.
Severe allergic reaction:
- Swelling of mouth or throat.
- Shortness of breath.
- Difficult noisy breathing.
If a severe allergic reaction occurs call 999 or go immediately to your local A&E department.
How does Nutramigen 3 work?
This product is extensively hydrolysed and hypoallergenic for the dietary management of infants aged 1 year and older with cow’s milk allergy. Nutramigen has short, medium and long term benefits:
Short term: symptom relief
- Proven to have an average efficacy 99%*
- Faster resolution cow milk allergy symptoms vs formula that does not contain LGG®
Medium term: oral tolerance acquisition
- The only eHF clinically proven to accelerate the return to milk.
- 8 out of 10 infants get back to milk after 12 months of use.
Long term: sustained results and allergic manifestation reduction
- The accelerated return to milk was shown to be sustained during a period of 3 years of dietary intervention.
- ~50% reduction in the incidence of ≥1 other allergic manifestation compared to Nutramigen alone during a period of 3 years.
What is LGG®?
LGG® (Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG) is a probiotic isolated from the intestinal tract of healthy humans. It has pili- hair like appendages that enable effective colonisation of the gut. Clinical evidence demonstrates that the addition of LGG® accelerates the return to cow milk and reduces the incidence of other allergic manifestations in infants with cow milk allergy.
Who is this product suitable for?
This product is suitable for infants from the age of 1 onwards, with cow milk allergy, as part of a varied diet.
How to use Nutramigen.
- Wash hands and clean preparation area thoroughly.
- Clean bottles teats, caps and utensils in water (at least 10 minutes at a rolling boil).
Boil fresh water.
- Do not use softened water.
- As soon as possible, pour desired amount of boiled water into clean bottle and cap.
- Allow the water in the sealed bottle to cool down to room temperature.
- On a clean surface, add the required number of level scoops of powder (see feeding guide below).
- Store dry scoop in the tin.
Number of bottle or cups/ 24 hours
Average ml of feeding
≤ 1 year
*Only use the scoop provided in the product tin. Do not press or pack powder into scoop, level off with the back of a clean, dry knife. Add 1 level scoop (4.5g) to each 30ml of water.
- Cap the bottle, roll and shake well until powder dissolves completely.
- Check temperature by dropping fluid on the inside of your wrist.
- Once prepared, formula can spoil quickly.
- Feed immediately after preparation or cover and store in a fridge at 2-4°C for no longer than a total of 24 hours.
- Do NOT freeze prepared formula and do NOT use if unrefrigerated for more than total of 2 hours.
- Use formula that has been in contact with baby’s mouth within 1 hour and do NOT refrigerate.
- Throw away any prepared formula left in bottle and clean utensils.
Do not heat in a microwave.
When NOT to use Nutramigen Baby Formula.
Do NOT use this formula if your child is allergic or has an intolerance to LGG® or any of the other listed ingredients in this product (see ingredients tab for full list). Nutramigen with LGG® is not recommended for premature and immunocompromised infants unless directed and supervised by a healthcare professional. This product is a food for special medical purposes and should only be used under the supervision of a healthcare professional. If you are unsure whether this product is suitable for your child, seek medical advice before use.
- Glucose syrup, vegetable oils (palm olein, coconut, soya, high oleic sunflower), extensively hydrolysed casein (from milk), fructose, modified corn starch, calcium citrate, potassium citrate, calcium phosphate, single cell oils (ARA from Mortierella alpina and DHA from Schizochytrium sp), magnesium phosphate, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, sodium citrate, sodium L-ascorbate, ferrous sulphate, flavourings (vanilla), Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG bacteria culture (0.02%), zinc sulphate, L-carnitine, nicotinamide, DL-alpha tocopheryl acetate, ascorbyl palmitate, ascorbic acid, calcium pantothenate, cupric sulphate, riboflavin, retinyl palmitate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine hydrochloride, manganese sulphate, folic acid, sodium iodide, chromic chloride, sodium molybdate, sodium selenite, phytomenadione, D-biotin, cholecalciferol, cyanocobalamin.
Breastfeeding or Formula – Which Is Right for Me?
One of the most important things that pregnant mothers have to consider is how they’re going to feed their baby.
It’s a lot to think about, but today we’re going to try to get to the bottom of which method is the best choice for you.
We’ll look at the pros and cons of breastfeeding vs bottle feeding, so you can make the best decision for you and your little one.
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
|Method||Handling Time||Transit Time||Timescale||Approx Cost|
|Standard Shipping (3-5 Working Days)||1||2||3||£2.95|
|Royal Mail Tracked 24||0||1||1||£4.95|
Times are given in working days and are approximate. Costs may change based on order total, day of the week or location within the UK. Ability to hit timescales will depend on whether the products are ordered before a cut off time, as well as additional administration time incurred in reviewing your order.
Please review the estimates at the checkout.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Express UK Delivery - £4.95** - Delivery within 1-2 working days.
Temperature Controlled Delivery - £8.85 - Delivery within 1-3 working days.
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
*Excluding refrigerated products and treatments which are subject to different postage charges.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist4U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here