What is Guardium Acid Reflux Control?
Guardium Acid Reflux Control tablets are a remedy for acid reflux and heartburn brought to you by the makers of Gaviscon. Just take these tablets once a day for a few days to ease your irritation and keep acid reflux under control. Guardium contains the active ingredient Esomeprazole, and is perfect for over 18s who experience regular heartburn and want a way to soothe their symptoms by going straight to the source.
What is acid reflux?
Acid reflux is a common problem that many people experience at least once. It happens when your excess stomach acid tries to travel upwards through your throat, causing irritation and a burning sensation that’s also known as heartburn. If you have acid reflux then you may also experience the following symptoms:
- An unpleasant taste in the mouth
- A persistent cough or hiccoughs
- Bad breath
- A hoarse voice
- Bloating and feeling sick
How will Esomeprazole relieve my acid reflux?
Guardium tablets contain an active ingredient called Esomeprazole, which is a type of medication called a proton pump inhibitor. Esomeprazole works by reducing the amount of stomach acid your stomach produces, helping to keep it from moving back up your food pipe and causing heartburn. This eases symptoms of heartburn by affecting the cause of acid reflux directly.
Can I take Esomeprazole if I’m pregnant or breastfeeding?
If you’re pregnant then you should avoid taking Esomeprazole if possible, and should only take it if your doctor tells you that you are safe to do so. If you are breastfeeding then you should not take Esomeprazole.
Can I take Guardium if I’m taking any other medications?
If you’re taking any other medication you should speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking Guardium tablets. You should not take this product if you’re also taking a medicine which contains nelfinavir, which is used to treat HIV. You should especially speak to your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any of the following:
- Ketoconazole and itraconazole, used for fungal infections
- Voriconazole and clarithromycin, used to treat infections
- Erlotinib, used to treat cancer
- Methotrexate, used to treat cancer and rheumatic disorders
- Digoxin, used for heart problems
- Atazanavir or saquinavir, used to treat HIV
- Citalopram, imipramine, or clomipramine, used to treat depression
- Diazepam, used to treat anxiety, relax muscles, or for epilepsy
- Phenytoin, used for epilepsy
- Blood thinners, such as warfarin
- Cilostazol, used to treat intermittent claudication
- Cisapride, used for indigestion and heartburn
- Rifampicin, used to treat tuberculosis
- Tacrolimus, used in cases of organ transplantation
- St. John’s wort, used to treat depression
How to take Guardium Acid Reflux Control tablets
Swallow one Guardium tablet every day with a sip of water. You can take your tablet at any time of the day, on either a full or empty stomach. It may take 2 – 3 days for these tablets to ease your symptoms, but make sure to carry on taking them for up to 14 days. When your symptoms have completely gone, you should stop taking these tablets. If you need to take these tablets for more than 14 days, you should speak to your doctor.
When should this product not be used?
Guardium tablets are not suitable for use by children under the age of 18. You should not take this product if you are allergic to Esomeprazole, any of the other listed ingredients, or any other medicines which contain proton pump inhibitors (e.g. pantoprazole, lansoprazole, rabeprazole, omeprazole, etc.). Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this product if you:
- Have ever had a stomach ulcer or stomach surgery
- Have been taking heartburn medicine for over 4 weeks
- Have jaundice or severe liver problems
- Have severe kidney problems
- Are over 55 and your acid reflux symptoms have changed, or you need to take a non-prescription heartburn remedy every day
- Have ever had a skin reaction after taking any other similar treatment
- Are due to have an endoscopy or a urea breath test
- Are due to take a specific blood test (Chromogranin A)
Before taking this product, you should speak to your doctor if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, which may be a sign that you are suffering with a more serious disease:
- Losing a lot of weight for no reason
- Pain or problems while swallowing
- Stomach pain or signs of indigestion, especially after food intake
- Beginning to vomit food or blood, which may look like dark coffee grounds
- Passing black or blood-stained stools
- Severe, persistent diarrhoea
- Skin rash, especially after your skin has been exposed to sunlight
Does Esomeprazole have any side effects?
Like all medications, Guardium (Esomeprazole) can have side effects, although not everyone will experience them. These include:
- Digestive problems, e.g. diarrhoea, flatulence, stomach ache, constipation
- Feeling sick or being sick
- Benign polyps on the stomach
- Swollen feet or ankles
- Sleep disturbances, insomnia, feeling tired or sleepy
- Dizziness, pins and needles
- Changes in how your liver is working, which will show up on blood tests
- Lumpy skin rash, hives, itchy skin
- Blood problems, e.g. reduced number of red blood cells, white blood cells, or platelets
- Low levels of sodium in the blood causing symptoms like vomiting and cramps
- Feeling agitated, confused, or depressed
- Changes in your sense of taste
- Eyesight problems, e.g. blurred vision
- Feeling wheezy or short of breath (bronchospasm)
- Swelling or inflammation on the inside of the mouth
- Hair loss
- Sensitivity to sunlight
- Joint or muscle pain
- Feeling generally unwell or lacking energy
- Increased sweating
For a full list of side effects of Guardium, please see the patient information leaflet that’s included with the product. If you experience these or any other side effects while using this product, stop use and speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist if necessary. For more information about reporting the side effects of medication, please see the MHRA’s Yellow Card Scheme.
How to store this product
Store in a cool, dry place and keep in original packaging to protect from light and moisture. Do not use this product if the expiry date printed on the original packaging has passed. Keep out of sight and reach of children.
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about addiction to 'over the counter' medication, we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
The active substance is esomeprazole. Each gastro-resistant tablet contains 20 mg esomeprazole (as esomeprazole magnesium).
The other ingredients are: Microcrystalline cellulose, Macrogol 8000, Lactose monohydrate, Talc (E 553b), Methacrylic acid-ethyl acrylate copolymer, Copovidone K 28, Crospovidone, Sucrose, Povidone K 90, Maize starch, Magnesium oxide, light (E 530), Silica colloidal, anhydrous, Magnesium stearate, Diethyl phthalate, Polysorbate 80, Ethylcellulose, Sodium laurilsulfate, Hypromellose (E464), Titanium dioxide (E 171), Iron oxide red (E172), Shellac glaze, Iron oxide black (E172) and Propylene glycol.
Everything you Need to Know About Heartburn and Acid Reflux
Okay, let’s be honest, we’ve all been guilty of overindulging on delicious food at one point or another in our lives.
But what happens when you start to feel that creeping, burning feeling in your chest that tells you that you’re about to suffer with some major heartburn afterwards? And what is heartburn anyway?
Today we’re going to have a good look at what heartburn is and what you can do to keep it away.
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
|Method||Handling Time||Transit Time||Timescale||Approx Cost|
|Standard Shipping (3-5 Working Days)||1||2||3||£2.95|
Times are given in working days and are approximate. Costs may change based on order total, day of the week or location within the UK. Ability to hit timescales will depend on whether the products are ordered before a cut off time, as well as additional administration time incurred in reviewing your order.
Please review the estimates at the checkout.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Express UK Delivery - £4.95** - Delivery within 1-2 working days.
Temperature Controlled Delivery - £8.85 - Delivery within 1-3 working days.
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
*Excluding refrigerated products and treatments which are subject to different postage charges.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist4U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here