What is Novopen 6?
Novopen 6 is used in diabetes management, it is a new and innovative way of recording insulin dosing information. The Novopen 6 is a type of smart insulin pen, and it gets its name from its compatibility with smartphones. These connected insulin pens automatically record how much insulin has been administered and the date and time it was administered. Each time you inject insulin, the dosing information can be uploaded to an app on your smartphone, allowing you and your healthcare team to access the data whenever you need to, in person or remotely.
Accurate dosing information which the Novopen 6 provides, can support an improved and more tailored treatment plan.
The Novopen 6 can:
- Record insulin dosing information
- Reveal the effects on your glucose levels by showing your insulin dosing data alongside data from your glucose monitoring device all in the one compatible app
- Connect with diabetes apps such as Freestyle LibreLink, Dexcom, Glooko and mySugr
- Support personalised treatment decisions based on the accurate data provided by Novopen 6
How to use Novopen 6
Always read the manufacturer’s guidance for images and descriptions on how to use this device. Follow these 9 steps to preparing and using your connected insulin pen.
- Remove the cartridge holder by pulling off the pen cap and twisting off the cartridge holder. The piston rod may stick out of your pen, If so, push it in until it stops.
- Slide a new insulin cartridge into the cartridge holder with the threaded end first. Twist the cartridge holder back on.
- Attach a new needle by tearing off the paper tab and pushing the needle straight onto the pen. Turn until it is on tight. Pull off both needle caps. Save the outer needle cap.
- ALWAYS test the insulin flow. Select 2 units and press the dose button until the dose counter shows 0. The insulin flow test is complete when you see insulin squirt and there is no longer a gap between the piston rod head and the piston.
- Select your dose. Pull out the dose button. Make sure the dose counter shows 0 before you start. Turn the dose button to select the dose you need.
- Inject your dose. Insert the needle. Press the dose button until the dose counter shows 0. Count slowly to 6 before you remove the needle from your skin. Safely remove and throw away the needle. Put the pen cap back on.
- To check your dose pull out the dose button and make sure the dose counter shows 0 before you start.
- Push the dose button back in. The dose memory will now show the details of your last dose.
- Read your dose memory.
What needles and cartridges can you use with Novopen 6?
Novopen 6 is designed to be used with any of the following single-use disposable needles up to a length of 8mm.
- NovoFine® Plus
The following Novo Nordisk Penfill® cartridges are compatible with Novopen 6:
- GB Insulatard®
How do you transfer data from Novopen 6 to a smartphone?
If you’re using the Freestyle LibreLink app, for example, transferring your insulin data from your connected pen to the app is quite simple. Firstly, in the app you would select ‘Insulin pens’ from the menu, then you would select ‘get started’ and follow the instructions. For Android users, you would simply hold the pen against the back of the phone to transfer the data, but if you use an iPhone you need to press the scan button and then hold your pen against the top of the phone at the front. You should hear an alert and vibration when the data has been successfully transferred.
Warnings and precautions
Take extra care when injecting yourself or someone else with the Novopen 6. Do not use it unless you have had proper training from your doctor or nurse. Do not share your pen with anyone else to avoid cross-infection, keep the pen with you at all times and certainly out of sight and reach of children.
Always test the insulin flow before each injection. If you accidentally drop the pen, check it for any damage and keep a spare one with you at all times so that you’re still able to inject your insulin if the other becomes damaged.
Can I return my Novopen?
Novopens cannot be returned to us once the packaging has been opened. We do not accept returns of this product because it is a medical item which cannot be resold or used by another patient.
Store in temperatures between 5°C and 40°C when the pen does not have a cartridge inserted. Always store out of sight and reach of children. Do not use after the expiry date, referring to the last day of the month stated on the packaging. Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste.
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
|Method||Handling Time||Transit Time||Timescale||Approx Cost|
Times are given in working days and are approximate. Costs may change based on order total, day of the week or location within the UK. Ability to hit timescales will depend on whether the products are ordered before a cut off time, as well as additional administration time incurred in reviewing your order.
Please review the estimates at the checkout.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Express UK Delivery - £4.95** - Delivery within 1-2 working days.
Temperature Controlled Delivery - £8.85 - Delivery within 1-3 working days.
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
*Excluding refrigerated products and treatments which are subject to different postage charges.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist4U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here