What is Dioraleze Diarrhoea Relief?
Dioraleze provides fast-acting relief from acute attacks of diarrhoea. It helps by making stools firmer and less watery and also helps to reduce the number of times you need to visit the toilet. This product can stop symptoms of diarrhoea in as little as one dose, helping you to get on with your day without having to worry about frequently running to the toilet.
What is Diarrhoea?
Diarrhoea is when you pass stools that are looser or more frequent than normal. It’s a very common illness that affects most people from time to time but is usually nothing to worry about. It can be unpleasant and troublesome to deal with until it passes, which can take up to a week.
Symptoms of Diarrhoea
Depending on the cause of your diarrhoea, you may experience other symptoms including:
- Stomach cramps
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite
You can lose a lot of water in your poo when suffering from diarrhoea, which can lead to dehydration that can be serious if it is not recognised and treated quickly.
What causes Diarrhoea
Diarrhoea often occurs when fluid cannot be absorbed from the contents of your bowel or when extra fluid is secreted into your bowel which causes watery poo. It is usually a symptom of a bowel infection (gastroenteritis) which can be caused by:
- A virus – Such as norovirus or rotavirus
- Bacteria – Such as campylobacter, E. Coli, Salmonella or shigella which can all cause food poisoning
- Parasites – Such as Giardia intestinalis parasite
Other causes of short-term diarrhoea include:
- Drinking too much alcohol
- A food allergy
- Damage to the lining of the intestines as a result of radiotherapy
- Taking certain kinds of medication
How to treat Diarrhoea
Diarrhoea typically lasts for a few days or up to a week and can usually clear up without any treatment, but there are ways that you can ease your symptoms to reduce the impact on your day to day life.
- Drink fluids – It is important to stay hydrated when suffering from diarrhoea, so take small, frequent sips of water.
- Oral rehydration solutions – These are used to replace salt, glucose and other important minerals that can be lost if you become dehydrated
- Eating – If you have lost your appetite, you don’t need to eat, but if you can eat, keep meals small and light without fatty or spicy foods
- Antidiarrhoeal medicines – Can help to reduce symptoms and shorten how long they last for
How can Dioraleze help relieve symptoms of Diarrhoea?
Dioraleze contains the active ingredient, Loperamide, which slows down the muscle movements in your gut, so more water is absorbed from your stools. This makes stools firmer and reduces the number of stools you pass. Dioraleze is fast-acting and can provide relief in one dose.
How to take Dioraleze
This product is only suitable for adults, the elderly and children aged over 12. These capsules should be swallowed whole with a drink of water.
After the first loose stool, take 2 capsules and 1 capsule after each further loose stool.
- This product is for the relief of short-term diarrhoea and should not be used as a substitute for rehydration treatment
- Do NOT take more than 6 capsules in any 24 hours
- Do NOT take this product for more than 24 hours unless advised to do so by a doctor
- If symptoms persist for more than 24 hours, consult your doctor.
- If you take more capsules than the recommended dose, speak to your doctor or a Chemist 4U pharmacist
When should this product NOT be used?
Do NOT take this medicine if:
- You suffer from colitis (inflammation of the colon) or any other inflammatory bowel disease
- You have a swollen stomach or tummy and/or constipation
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding (unless instructed by your doctor)
- You are suffering from dysentery with blood in your stools and a high temperature
Check with your doctor before taking this medicine if:
- You suffer from liver or kidney problems, including difficulty in urinating
- You have severe and persistent diarrhoea and vomiting.
- If you have AIDS and your stomach becomes swollen, stop taking this product immediately and contact your doctor
- These capsules contain lactose, if you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicine
Like all medicines, Dioraleze can cause side effects, although not everybody will experience them.
If you experience any symptoms of an allergic reaction, seek advice from your GP. Symptoms of allergic:
- Skin rashes or other signs of an allergic reaction such as itching, swelling of the lips, tongue or throat or difficulty in breathing
- Skin rashes which may be severe and include blistering or peeling skin
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about addiction to 'over the counter' medication, we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
The active ingredient: Loperamide Hydrochloride 2 mg.
Other ingredients: Lactose, Maize Starch, Talc, Magnesium Stearate, Gelatin, Quinoline Yellow (E104), Erythrosine (E127), Patent Blue (E131) and Titanium Dioxide (E171).
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist 4 U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here