What is this Canesten Oral Capsule 150mg?
Canesten Oral Capsules are a treatment for thrush in both women and men. It tackles the cause of the thrush infection, usually clearing your symptoms in just two days. Ideal for easing the irritating symptoms of thrush, such as itching and burning sensations, quickly and easily.
What is thrush?
Vaginal thrush, also known as a yeast infection, is a common infection that affects women of all ages. It happens when the balance of good and bad bacteria in your body is disrupted, giving the fungi that cause thrush the time to grow and thrive, causing your infection. When you have vaginal thrush, you may experience the following symptoms:
- White, cottage cheese-like discharge
- Stinging or burning sensation when you pee or have sex
How will the fluconazole in this Canesten Oral Capsule treat my thrush?
Canesten Oral Capsules contain 150mg of fluconazole as their active ingredient. Fluconazole is an antifungal, which means it works against the fungi or yeast that cause your thrush. This helps to restore the delicate balance of good and bad bacteria that lives on your body, easing your symptoms and treating your thrush quickly and easily.
Can I use this treatment for other fungal infections?
Although this product is ideal for treating vaginal thrush, it can also be used to treat other fungal infections. Some of the other infections you can treat with fluconazole include thrush in the penis, and athlete’s foot. If you think you have a fungal infection and are unsure what the best treatment would be for you, speak to your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Can I use this treatment if I’m pregnant or breastfeeding?
If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, you should not use this Canesten Oral Capsule. If you have thrush during pregnancy or when you’re breastfeeding, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Can I use this product if I’m taking other medication?
If you’re taking any other medication, you should speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this product. Do not take the Canesten Oral Capsule if you are already taking:
- Astemizole or terfenadine, which are used to treat allergies
- Cisapride, which is used for stomach problems
- Pimozide, which is used to treat mental problems
- Quinidine, which is used to treat heart arrhythmia
- Erythromycin, which is an antibiotic
Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this product if you are taking:
- Anticoagulants, also known as blood thinners, such as warfarin
- Sulphonylureas, which are used to control diabetes
- Hydrochlorothiazide, which is used to treat fluid retention and high blood pressure
- Benzodiazepines, which are tranquilisers
- Phenytoin or Carbamazepine, which are used to control epilepsy
- Rifampicin or Rifabutin, which are antibiotics
- Ciclosporin, Sirolimus, Tacrolimus, or Tofacitinib, which are used to reduce the immune response
- Theophylline, which is used to control asthma
- Zidovudine or Saquinavir, which are used to treat HIV
- Losartan, which is used to reduce blood pressure
- Alfentanil, Fentanyl, or Methodone, which are used to treat pain
- Halofantrine, which is used to treat malaria
- Amiodarone or Nortriptyline, which are antidepressants
- Ivacaftor, which is used to treat cystic fibrosis
- Statins, e.g. Simvastatin, Atorvastatin, Fluvastatin
- NSAIDs, e.g. ibuprofen, celecoxib, diclofenac, meloxicam, naproxen
- Olaparib, which is used to treat ovarian cancer
Can I use other thrush treatments at the same time as this oral capsule?
If you’re using fluconazole capsules like this one to treat your thrush, you may also be able to use an antifungal cream (such as clotrimazole) to ease your symptoms. However, you should speak to your doctor or pharmacist before using any 2 medications at the same time, to make sure that the combination is both safe and suitable for you.
Can I drive after taking this product?
You may feel dizzy after taking this treatment. If this happens to you, do not attempt to drive or use tools or machinery until you are sure that you are safe to do so.
How to take this capsule
Swallow the capsule whole with a glass of water. You can take the capsule with or without food. You usually only need to take one dose to treat your infection, but if you do not see any improvement after 7 days or your thrush comes back you should speak to your doctor.
Can I buy Canesten thrush oral capsules over the counter?
You do not need a prescription for Canesten thrush oral capsules, however, you will be asked to complete a short medical questionnaire by your Chemist 4 U pharmacist before we can take your order. This includes some simple questions that all pharmacies legally are required to ask before supplying this kind of product. This helps our pharmacy team to be sure that this product is the best choice for you.
When should this thrush oral capsule not be used?
Canesten Oral Capsules are not suitable for use in children under the age of 16 or adults over the age of 60. Do not use this product if you are allergic to fluconazole, any other vaginal antifungal products, or any of the other listed ingredients. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this product if you:
- Are unsure whether you have thrush, or you have had these symptoms for the first time
- Have had thrush more than twice in the past 6 months
- Or your partner has ever had an STD
- Have had any disease or illness affecting the liver or kidneys, or have any unexplained jaundice
- Have heart problems, including heart rhythm problems
- Suffer from any other chronic disease or illness
If you are a woman, speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this product if you have:
- Irregular vaginal bleeding
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding or blood-stained discharge
- Ulcers, blisters, or sores on your vagina or vulva
- Lower abdominal pain
- Pain or difficulty passing urine
- Fever or chills
- Feeling sick or being sick
- Foul-smelling vaginal discharge
If you are a man, speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this product if:
- Your sexual partner doesn’t have thrush
- You have sores, ulcers, or blisters on your penis
- You have abnormal discharge from your penis
- Your penis has started to smell
- You have pain or difficulty passing urine
Does this Canesten Oral Capsule have any side effects?
Like all medication, this Canesten Oral Capsule can have side effects, although not everyone will experience them. If you experience any of the following side effects, stop use and seek immediate medical assistance:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, e.g. rash, difficulty breathing or swallowing, swelling of lips, face, tongue, or throat, weakness, feeling dizzy or faint, nausea
- A Severe condition with blistering and peeling of the skin, mouth, eyes, or genitals
- Liver disorders showing symptoms such as yellowing of the skin or eyes, dark urine, pale stools
- Change in heart rhythm or rate
Other side effects you may experience include:
- Stomach discomfort, feeling sick, being sick, diarrhoea
- Increases in blood tests of liver function
- Reduction in red blood cells, showing symptoms such as pale skin, weakness, breathlessness
- Decreased appetite
- Sleep disturbances, feeling drowsy
- Fit, dizziness, a sensation of spinning, tingling, pricking or numbness, change in sense of taste
- Indigestion, wind, dry mouth
- Muscular pain
- Wheals, blistering, hives, itching, sweating more than usual
- Fatigue, feeling generally unwell, fever
- Lower white or red blood cell count than normal, showing symptoms such as getting more infections than usual, increased bleeding, blood thinning
- Red or purple discolouration of the skin, which may be caused by low platelet count, other blood cell changes
- Blood chemistry changes, e.g. high levels of blood cholesterol, fats, etc.
- Low blood potassium
- Hair loss
- DRESS, showing symptoms such as skin rash, fever, swollen glands, increase in a type of white blood cell, inflammation of internal organs
If you experience these or any other side effects while using this product, stop use and speak to your doctor or pharmacist right away. For more information about reporting the side effects of medication, please see the MHRA’s Yellow Card Scheme.
How to store this product
Store in a cool, dry place. Do not use this product if the expiry date printed on the original packaging has passed. Keep out of sight and reach of children.
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about an addiction to 'over the counter' medication we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
The active substance is fluconazole at a strength of 150mg.
The other ingredients are colloidal silicon dioxide, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, maize starch and sodium lauryl sulphate.
The capsule shell contains brilliant blue FCF (E133), titanium dioxide (E171) and gelatin.
The printing ink contains shellac, black iron oxide (E172) and propylene glycol.
Can this be used for oral (mouth) thrush?
Canesten Thrush Oral Capsule is recommended for the treatment of candidal vaginitis, acute or recurrent. It should also be used for the treatment of partners with associated candidal balanitis.
This is not suitable for Oral Thrush, please use Daktarin Oral Gel https://www.chemist-4-u.com/daktarin-oral-gel-15g
How many capsules do you take a day?
The capsule (a single dose) should be swallowed whole with a glass of water.
It can be taken either with or without food, at any time of day.
If your sexual partner also has symptoms of thrush it is important that they are treated at the same time as you to prevent you being re-infected.
You should consult your doctor if your symptoms have not got better within a week of taking Canesten oral capsule.
I have Itchiness down below and bad soreness, is this thrush?
Thrush symptoms in women
- white vaginal discharge (like cottage cheese), which does not usually smell
- itching and irritation around the vagina
- soreness and stinging during sex or when you pee
Thrush symptoms in men
- irritation, burning and redness around the head of the penis and under the foreskin
- a white discharge (like cottage cheese)
- an unpleasant smell
- difficulty pulling back the foreskin
Thrush can affect other areas of skin, such as the armpits, groin and between the fingers.
This usually causes a red, itchy or painful rash that scales over with white or yellow discharge. The rash may not be so obvious on darker skin.
I took this tablet a couple of days ago and now Iâ€™m bleeding
Is this bleeding from your period or from the thrush. If the thrush is causing bleeding, please conatct your GP
Is this for oral thrush?
Canestan is to treat genital thrush, if you need something to treat oral thrush, I would recommend daktarin oral gel. https://www.chemist-4-u.com/daktarin-oral-gel-15g
I have itching in my private area and my doctor told me to take Canesten. I took the oral tablet yesterday and got the cream, but I am still experiencing itchiness. How long does it take to work?
If you have vaginal thrush, balanitis or oral thrush, your symptoms should be better within 7 days of taking fluconazole.
If you have a serious fungal infection, ask your doctor how long it will take for fluconazole to start to work. It may be 1 to 2 weeks before it reaches its full effect.
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
|Method||Handling Time||Transit Time||Timescale||Approx Cost|
|Standard Shipping (3-5 Working Days)||1||2||3||£2.95|
|Royal Mail Tracked 24||0||1||1||£4.95|
Times are given in working days and are approximate. Costs may change based on order total, day of the week or location within the UK. Ability to hit timescales will depend on whether the products are ordered before a cut off time, as well as additional administration time incurred in reviewing your order.
Please review the estimates at the checkout.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95* - Delivery within 3-5 working days.
Express UK Delivery - £4.95** - Delivery within 1-2 working days.
Temperature Controlled Delivery - £8.85 - Delivery within 1-3 working days.
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
*Excluding refrigerated products and treatments which are subject to different postage charges.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist4U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here
Canesten Oral Thrush Capsule - 150mg Reviews
Advice & Guides
Could there be anything more irritating than a bout of thrush disrupting your summer plans? As the summer heat rises, unfortunately, so do women’s chances of suffering from vaginal thrush. Luckily, there are some preventative measures we can all take to reduce the chances of us falling...Read More
So, your doctor has recommended fluconazole and you’re heading to the pharmacy to get your hands on some, but what is this medication?
If you like to know everything there is to know about your medication before you take it then you’ve come to the right place.
Let’s take a look at what fluconazole is, what it’s used for, and when you should be using it.Read More
If you’ve got white patches on your tongue and your mouth is feeling sore and red, then you could be dealing with a charming fungal infection called oral thrush.
Oral thrush is a pretty common infection that can affect men, women, and children, so if you’re worried that a member of your family could be suffering with this one, then you’ve come to the right place!
Let’s have a look at what makes oral thrush the thoroughly lovely infection it is.Read More