What is Canesten Bifonazole Once Daily 1% Cream?
Canesten Bifonazole Once Daily 1% Cream is used to treat and provide symptomatic relief from athlete’s foot. It contains the active ingredient Bifonazole which is an anti-fungal that fights the cause of fungal skin infections and provides relief from itching and soreness caused by athlete’s foot.
What causes Athlete’s Foot?
Athlete’s Foot (known in the medical world as, tinea pedis) is a skin infection on the feet or toes that is caused by a group of fungi called dermatophytes. They thrive in warm, moist environments like showers, shoes, socks and your feet. This condition can usually be found between your toes, but it can also appear on the soles and sides of your feet.
- Itching and/or burning sensation on your toes and feet
- Very dry, scaly, cracked or peeling skin
- Softening and whitening of the skin between toes
- Split skin
- Cracking skin on the sole or heels
- Smelly feet
Treatment and Prevention
Athlete’s foot can spread easily and cause symptoms that are irritating and uncomfortable, but it can be easily treated and prevented.
- Apply a topical treatment - Antifungal treatments penetrate the skin and attack the fungi that causes the infection to relieve symptoms
- Avoid walking barefoot - When walking around changing rooms, showers and pools, ensure you wear some kind of footwear such as flip-flops or sandals
- Always dry your feet carefully -Ensure they are thoroughly dry, especially between your toes
- Wear clean socks every day - Change them during the day if it is hot or after playing sports
- Choose your socks carefully - Cotton, silk and wool socks are better than synthetic materials
- Remove your shoes at home - To let your feet ‘breathe’
- Wash towels frequently and do not share them - To prevent the spread of skin infections
How does Canesten Bifonazole Once Daily work to relieve Athlete’s Foot?
This effective treatment contains the active ingredient, Bifonazole which belongs to a group of medicines called imidazoles and is an antifungal agent that fights the cause of fungal skin infections. This topical (applied directly to the skin) treatment provides relief from itching and redness and should be applied once a day for 2-3 weeks to ensure the infection has been eradicated.
How to use this Canesten?
Always use this medicine as described in the product leaflet or as advised by a doctor or a Chemist 4U pharmacist.
- Before use - Pierce the tube seal by inverting the cap over the end of the tube and press
- Before applying the cream - Your feet should be washed and dried thoroughly, especially between your toes
- Apply the cream - Thinly and evenly to the affected areas, once a day, preferably at night before going to bed and rubbed in gently
- Continue treatment - Treatment should be continued for 2-3 weeks
Symptoms such as itching and soreness should improve after a few days of treating with Canesten, however, symptoms such as redness and scaling may take longer to disappear. If symptoms do not improve after 7 days, consult your doctor or a Chemist 4U pharmacist.
- This product is suitable for external use only
- Do NOT apply the cream around the mouth or swallow it
- If the cream is swallowed accidentally, seek medical advice immediately or contact your local A&E department
- Avoid contact with eyes or mouth- if contact occurs, wash immediately with water and contact your doctor
Following these simple self-help tips can help your treatment to fight symptoms of Athlete’s Foot:
- Try not to scratch - Although the affected area may be itchy, scratching damages the surface of the skin and causes the infection to spread further.
- Keep the affected areas clean - Wash and dry thoroughly, especially in between the toes, but take care not to excessively rub the skin
- Always wash your hands after treating the infection - This will help prevent the spread of infection
- Wash your socks, stockings and tights thoroughly in hot water - To remove any shed skin or fungal spores
When NOT to use this product
Do NOT use this product if you are allergic to any of the ingredients in this product (see ingredients tab for full list) or if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. This product is not suitable for the treatment of:
- Nappy rash
- Nail and scalp infections
- Vaginal infections
Seek advice from your GP or a Chemist 4U pharmacist if:
- You are unsure whether you have athlete’s foot
- You have ever had an allergic reaction to any antifungal product
- You are taking or have taken medicines, including those obtained without a prescription especially Warfarin (an anticoagulant)
Like all medicines, Canesten Bifonozole Once Daily can cause side effects, although not everyone will experience them.
As this is a topical treatment some people may be allergic to this product. If you experience an allergic reaction, discontinue use immediately and tell your doctor. Signs of an allergic reaction include:
- Swallowing or breathing problems
- Swelling of your lips, face, throat or tongue
- Weakness, feeling dizzy or faint
After applying this product, you may experience the following symptoms:
- Slight irritation or burning
- Reddening of the skin
If this is intolerable, discontinue use and seek advice from your doctor
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about addiction to 'over the counter' medication, we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
Your FAQs About Athlete’s Foot Answered
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist 4 U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here