What are Buscopan IBS Relief Tablets?
Buscopan IBS Relief tablets help to ease symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, such as stomach cramps and discomfort. Take just one tablet three times a day to ease your discomfort during flare-ups, helping you to feel more comfortable.
What is Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome, also known as IBS, is a common condition which affects your digestive system. When you have IBS, you may experience flare-ups when you eat certain foods and drinks, causing symptoms such as stomach cramps, bloating, constipation, and diarrhoea. Some of the most common causes of IBS flare-ups include:
- Stimulants such as caffeine
- Your eating and drinking habits
- Being intolerant or allergic to some foods
- Hormonal factors, e.g. your menstrual cycle, pregnancy, puberty, etc.
How will Buscopan IBS Relief tablets help to ease my IBS?
Buscopan IBS Relief tablets contain an active ingredient called hyoscine butylbromide, which is a type of medication called antispasmodics. This means it eases your IBS symptoms by relaxing the muscles in your bowel, easing cramps and stomach pain effectively.
Can I take these tablets if I’m pregnant?
You should not take Buscopan IBS Relief tablets if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. If you’re suffering from IBS at this time, you should ask your doctor or pharmacist to recommend a more suitable treatment for you.
Can I drive after taking these tablets?
You may experience blurred vision after taking Buscopan IBS Relief. If this happens to you, do not attempt to drive or use tools or machinery until your vision has returned to normal and you are absolutely certain that you are safe to do so.
Can I take these tablets if I’m taking other medication?
If you’re taking any other medication, including those you obtained without a prescription, you should speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking these tablets. This especially applies if you are already taking:
- Antihistamines, which are used to treat hay fever and allergies
- Tetracyclic or tricyclic antidepressants
- Antipsychotic medicines, e.g. butyrophenones, phenothiazines
- Dopamine antagonists, which are used to treat sickness and vomiting, e.g. metoclopramide
- Beta 2 adrenergic medicines, e.g. salbutamol inhalers for asthma
- Quinidine or disopyramide, which are used to control your heartbeat
- Amantadine, which us used for Parkinson’s disease and the flu
- Anticholinergic medicines, which are used to treat breathing problems, e.g. tiotropium, ipratropium, atropine-like medicines
What is the recommended dosage of these tablets?
The recommended dosage of Buscopan IBS tablets is one tablet 3 times a day. If you need to, you can increase your dose to a maximum of 2 tablets 4 times a day, but do not take more than 8 tablets in any 24-hour period. Swallow tablets whole with a sip of water.
When should these tablets not be used?
Buscopan IBS Relief tablets are not suitable for children under the age of 12. Do not use this product if you are allergic to hyoscine butylbromide or any of the other listed ingredients. Do not take these tablets if you:
- Are intolerant to some sugars, as these tablets contain sucrose
- Have glaucoma
- Have myasthenia gravis
- Have a blockage of the bowel, or you suspect that you have this
- Have a condition where the bowel is blocked and doesn’t work properly, e.g. paralytic or obstructive ileus
- Have a very enlarged bowel (megacolon)
Speak to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this product if you:
- Are over 40 years old and it has been some time since your last IBS attack, or your symptoms are different this time
- Have recently passed blood from your bowel
- Have severe constipation
- Are feeling sick or being sick
- Have lost your appetite or have lost weight
- Have difficulty or pain when passing water
- Have a fever
- Have recently travelled abroad
- Have a very fast heart rate or other heart problems
- Have been treated by your doctor for a severe sweating problem
Do Buscopan IBS Relief tablets have any side effects?
Like all medications, Buscopan IBS Relief tablets can have side effects, although not everyone will experience them. If you experience any of the following side effects, stop use and speak to your doctor immediately:
- Skin reactions, e.g. urticaria, pruritis
- Increased heart rate (tachycardia)
- Problems emptying the bladder
- Severe allergic reaction showing symptoms such as difficulty breathing, loss of consciousness, swelling of the face, mouth, throat, etc., itchy rash which spreads all over the body
- Difficult or laboured breathing (dyspnoea)
- Allergic reaction, e.g. skin rash, patchy red skin
- Painful red eye with loss of vision (glaucoma)
Other side effects you may experience include:
- Dry mouth
- Outbreaks of sweat and dryness on your skin (dyshidrosis)
- Skin reactions
If you experience these or any other side effects while using this product, stop use and speak to your doctor or pharmacist. For more information about reporting the side effects of medication, please see the MHRA’s Yellow Card scheme.
How to store this product
Store in a cool, dry place which is below 25 degrees C. Do not use this product if the expiry date printed on the original packaging has passed. Keep out of sight and reach of children.
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about addiction to 'over the counter' medication, we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
Each tablet contains 10 mg of the active ingredient hyoscine butylbromide.
The other ingredients are: calcium hydrogen phosphate, maize starch, soluble starch, colloidal silica, tartaric acid, stearic acid, sucrose, talc, acacia, titanium dioxide, macrogol 6000, carnauba wax, white beeswax and povidone.
Don’t you just hate blockages? Whether it is in the nose and you struggle to breathe through it and smell, or whether it is a traffic jam caused by an accident that leaves you stuck on the road, they are a pain.
The same can be said about constipation, a simple blockage in the digestive system that can cause a lot of problems. To find the solution to constipation, first, you need to know the cause.
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist 4 U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here