What is Bio Oil Dry Skin Gel?
Bio Oil Dry Skin Gel is a gel formula body moisturiser which hydrates skin and forms a protective barrier that prevents moisture loss. The gel-to-oil formula contains a potent combination of emollients, including shea butter and humectants like glycerine and urea to help keep your skin soft and hydrated. Bio Oil soothes and calms irritated dry skin whilst nourishing it, for smooth and comfortable skin. If you’re looking for an effective and powerful solution for dry skin, try Bio Oil.
What causes dry skin?
Dry skin occurs when the skin does not contain enough moisture. It can cause irritating and uncomfortable symptoms such as itchiness, cracking and peeling. There are many different factors that can cause dry skin including:
- Weather – when temperatures and humidity levels descend, reduces the level of moisture in the air which can dry the skin out
- Heat – sources of heat such as central heating, fireplaces and heaters all reduce the moisture level in the air, which can dry out the skin
- Hot baths and showers – taking long hot showers or baths can dry out the skin
- Swimming – spending long amounts of time in chlorinated pools can strip the skin of its natural oils and cause dry skin
- Harsh soaps and detergents – many soaps, detergents and shampoos strip the skin of moisture, as they are formulate to remove oil
What conditions cause dry skin?
As well as environmental factors, there are a range of skin conditions that can cause dry skin.
Eczema is a long-term skin condition that makes the skin itchy, red, dry and cracked. It can affect any part of the body, but most commonly affects:
- The backs or fronts of knees
- Outside or inside the elbows
- Around the neck, hands, cheeks or scalp
Psoriasis is a skin condition that causes red patches of skin that are covered in silver scales. These patches usually appear around the elbows, knees and the lower back and can cause itchiness and discomfort. Those who have psoriasis can have periods with little to no symptoms followed by stretches of time where the symptoms are more severe.
There are many different types of Ichthyosis. Some types are inherited from birth, whereas other develop during adulthood. This condition caused widespread and persistent thick, dry, fish-scale skin.
How to treat dry skin
There are many different steps that can be taken to help relieve and soothe dry skin. By following some simple Dos and Don’ts, you can help to keep your skin healthy and hydrated.
- DON’T stay in hot showers or baths for long periods of time
- DO use warm instead of hot water and spend no longer than 10 minutes in baths or showers
- DON’T use harsh or drying soaps, deodorant, antibacterial detergents and products containing fragrances
- DO use gentle cleansing creams and skin cleansers with moisturising properties
- DON’T rub the skin vigorously with a towel or use towels that have rough textures.
- DO gently pat your skin dry, so that some moisture remains in the skin
- DON’T spend too long in rooms that have dry air (e.g. rooms with fireplaces, heaters or radiators)
- DO use a portable home humidifier to increase the moisture level in the air and limit your time around sources of heat
- DON’T wear clothing made from materials that irritate the skin, such as wool
- DO wear materials that are soft and allow your skin to breathe, such as cotton or silk and wash your clothes with detergents that don’t contain dyes or perfumes
How can Bio Oil Gel help to soothe dry skin?
Most traditional dry skin treatments, such as creams, lotions and body butters, tend to contain around 20% oil, wax or butter to prevent the skin from losing moisture. The oil, wax or butter, forms an invisible oily layer on the skin’s surface which prevents the water in the skin from evaporating, therefore keeping it hydrated. Bio Oil Dry Skin Gel, contains 84% of the emollients used to protect the skin as well as humectants, like glycerine and urea which help to attract water to the skin surface. The gel-to-oil texture is absorbed easily by the skin and restores its moisture to optimum levels to keep it healthy and comfortable. The caring formula also includes Vitamin B3 for an extra boost for your skin’s health. This product is suitable for sensitive skin and it doesn’t block pores.
How to use this product
Bio Oil gel is easy to use. Simply apply a small amount to dry skin as required. Due to its texture you will need a smaller amount compared to the amount you would need if you were applying a cream.
When NOT to use Bio Oil
Do NOT use this product if you are allergic to any of the ingredients (see ingredients tab for full list). This product should NOT be used on broken skin. If you experience irritation when using this product, discontinue use. Avoid contact with eyes. If contact occurs, rinse thoroughly with water. Keep this product out of reach of children.
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about addiction to 'over the counter' medication, we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
Paraffinum Liquidum, Isopropyl Palmitate, Triisononanoin, Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter, Aqua, Isopropyl Myristate, Urea, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Isostearyl Isostearate, C26-28 Alkyl Dimethicone, Sodium Lactate, Gluconolactone, Sodium PCA, Sodium Hyaluronate, Octyldodecyl PCA, Sucrose Laurate, Sucrose Stearate, Lactic Acid, Lanolin, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Bisabolol, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil, Silica, Glycine Soja Oil, BHT, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Niacinamide, Linoleic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Tocopherol, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Calendula Officinalis Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil, Parfum, Citronellol, Farnesol, Limonene, Linalool, CI 17200.
Everything You Need to Know About Eczema
If you have dry skin that always seems to happen in the same area and drives you up the wall with that itchy, scratchy feeling, then you could have eczema.
But what is eczema, and what makes this condition different from just regular patches of dry skin?
Today, we’re going to find out more about eczema, what it is, and what it means for your skin.
Eczema, Psoriasis, Dermatitis, and Rosacea: What You Need to Know
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist 4 U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here