What is Anusol Plus HC Ointment?
Anusol Plus HC is a haemorrhoid ointment that is used to treat both internal and external haemorrhoids (also known as piles). It contains a group of five active ingredients which work together to reduce inflammation, soothe and treat unpleasant symptoms caused by piles. It is easy to apply Anusol to the affected area and the caring treatment can provide instant relief after application to help you to feel more comfortable. If you’re looking for an effective, soothing treatment for haemorrhoids, try Anusol Plus HC Ointment.
What are haemorrhoids?
Haemorrhoids are small swellings that contain enlarged blood vessels. They develop inside or around the bottom. They often don’t cause symptoms and you may not even realise you have them. However, if you do experience symptoms they may include:
- Bleeding after passing a stool (poo)
- Itchy bottom
- A lump hanging outside of the anus that may need to be pushed back into the anus after pooing
- A mucus discharge
- Soreness, redness or swelling around the anus
What causes haemorroids is unclear, but increased pressure in the blood vessels in and around the anus is associated with the condition. The pressure causes the blood vessels in the back passage to swell and become inflamed. This pressure can be caused by straining on the toilet due to constipation or chronic diarrhoea. Other factors that may cause haemorrhoids include:
- Being overweight or obese
- Being pregnant
- Having a family history of haemorrhoids
- Regularly lifting heavy objects
- A persistant cough or repeated vomiting
- Sitting down for long periods of time
Haemorrhoids will usually clear after a few days. There are many steps you can take to avoid placing strain on the blood vessels including:
- Increasing the amount of fibre in your diet to prevent constipation
- Drinking plenty of fluid
- Passing stools as soon as you feel the urge
- Check side effects of medicines as some can cause constipation
- Losing weight
- Regular exercise
How can Anusol help to treat and soothe haemorrhoids?
Anusol contains 5 active ingredients which work together to treat and soothe uncomfortable symptoms of haemorrhoids:
- Hydrocortisone acetate: a mild steroid which helps to reduce inflammation
- Zinc oxide and Bismuth salts: mild astringent and antiseptic ingredients that can soothe and protect raw areas
- Balsam Peru: a mild antiseptic which can protect sore areas and may help healing
- Benzyl Benzoate: has mild antiseptic properties
The ointment is easy to apply and helps to relieve swelling, itchiness and irritation of internal and external piles.
How to use Anusol HC
This product is for topical use only, which means it can only be applied directly to the affected area. Wash and dry the anal area before applying the ointment. You can use the included nozzle to apply the ointment into the back passage.
For external piles: after washing and drying the affected area, apply the ointment using a gauze dressing
For internal piles: after washing and drying the affected area, screw the nozzle onto the tube before removing the nozzle cap. Insert the nozzle into the back passage and squeeze gently - clean the nozzle after each use.
Wash your hands before and after using this product.
For adults and the elderly this product can be applied sparingly to the affected area at night, in the morning and after each bowel movement. Do NOT use this product more than 4 times a day and do NOT use for more than 7 consecutive days.
When NOT to use this product
This product is not suitable for children under the age of 18 years. Do NOT use this product if you are allergic to any of the ingredients (see ingredients tab for full list) or if you have fungal, viral or bacterial skin sores. This product is not suitable for those who are pregnant or breast-feeding. Speak to your doctor before using this product if:
- You have rectal bleeding or blood in the stool or if you have any doubt whether any bleeding you have is experienced is caused by piles
- Your symptoms worsen or do not improve after you have used the medicine for 7 days
- You are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription including corticosteroids
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about addiction to 'over the counter' medication, we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
- The active substances are per 100g: Hydrocortisone acetate 0.25g, zinc oxide 10.75g, bismuth subgallate 2.25g, balsam peru 1.875g, bismuth oxide 0.875g and benzyl benzoate 1.25g. The other ingredients are: magnesium stearate, cocoa butter, lanolin anhydrous, castor oil, kaolin light, calcium hydrogen phosphate and petroleum jelly white.
Please can you prescribe me something which can give permanent haemorrhoids relief?
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist 4 U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here