What is promethazine hydrochloride?
Promethazine hydrochloride tablets are a remedy that can be used to ease symptoms of hay fever, travel sickness, sleep disturbances and more. It’s perfect for adults and children over the age of 5, getting to work quickly to relieve symptoms and promote a feeling of relaxation.
What can these tablets be used for?
Promethazine hydrochloride tablets can be used to ease the symptoms of a few different ailments. Some of the most popular reasons why people use this medicine include managing the symptoms of hay fever or other allergies, as a sleeping aid, or as a way to manage nausea or travel sickness.
How does promethazine hydrochloride work?
Promethazine hydrochloride is part of a group of medicines called phenothiazines and has some similar properties to an antihistamine. This means that these tablets work by blocking a natural substance called histamine in your body, preventing it from working on the brain to create symptoms of allergic reaction or nausea. This helps to ease your symptoms fast and helps you to feel more relaxed, perfect for those who need to get some sleep.
Can I drive after taking these tablets?
You may feel drowsy or sleepy after taking promethazine hydrochloride tablets. Do not attempt to drive or use tools or machinery unless you are sure that you are not affected in this way.
Can I take this product if I’m pregnant or breastfeeding?
If you are within the last 2 weeks of pregnancy or are breastfeeding, you should not take this medication, as it may not be safe for you and your baby at this time. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding and are considering taking any medication, you should speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist first, they can help you to choose the medicine that is both safe and effective.
Can I take this product if I’m taking other medication?
If you’re taking other medication, even those obtained without a prescription, you should speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product. Do not take this medication if you are taking depression medication known as MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors), or have taken this type of medication within the past 2 weeks. Speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before using this product if you are taking any of the following medications:
- Anticholinergic medicines, which can be used for asthma, irritable bowel syndrome, and weak bladder
- Medicines for depression, e.g. amitriptyline
- Medicines which help you to sleep or feel more relaxed, e.g. diazepam, zolpidem
- Aspirin or similar medications, promethazine may hide the side effects of these medications
Can I drink alcohol while I’m taking these tablets?
You should not drink alcohol while taking promethazine hydrochloride, as it can affect the way your medication works. For example, it may make you more likely to feel drowsy or sleepy.
How to take promethazine hydrochloride tablets
How you should take these promethazine hydrochloride tablets will differ depending on your age and what you want to use these tablets for. If you want to use these tablets to ease symptoms of allergy you should take:
- Adults and children over the age of 10 – Take 1 tablet once a night. If necessary, this may be increased to a maximum of 2 tablets once a night.
- Children aged 5 – 10 – Take 1 tablet once a night and no more.
To treat sickness and nausea, including travel sickness, you should take:
- Adults and children over the age of 10 – Take 1 tablet the night before your journey. You may repeat this dose after 6 – 8 hours if necessary.
- Children younger than 10 – This product is not recommended to treat sickness in children under 10. Speak to your doctor or pharmacist for an alternative product.
To treat insomnia in adults you should take:
- 1 – 2 tablets, once a night
If your doctor has recommended this product as a short-term sedative for children, you should take:
- Children aged over 10 – Take 1 – 2 tablets, once a night
- Children aged 5 – 10 – Take 1 tablet, once a night
Do not take more than the recommended daily dose of this product. If you are unsure about any dosage, please speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist for more information.
When should these tablets not be used?
Promethazine hydrochloride tablets are not suitable for use by children under the age of 5. Do not use this product if you are allergic to promethazine hydrochloride or any of the other listed ingredients. This product can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight, keep out of direct sunlight while taking this medicine.
Does this medicine have any side effects?
Like all medications, promethazine hydrochloride tablets can have side effects, although not everyone will experience them. If you experience any of the following side effects, stop use and seek medical assistance immediately:
- Allergic reaction, showing symptoms including a rash, difficulty swallowing or breathing, swelling of the lips, face, throat, or tongue
- Liver problems, which may include yellowing of the eyes or skin
- Muscle stiffness or shaking
- Being unable to control some muscles in the head or face
- Unusual movements of the tongue, facial muscle spasms, rolling eyes, trembling
- Heart palpitations, e.g. very fast, uneven, or forceful heartbeat
- Tiredness which lasts for a long time, this may be caused by anaemia
- Over-active behaviour in children
- High temperature, pale complexion, muscle stiffness or tremor, changes in mental state, e.g. confusion, irritability, extreme agitation. A combination of these symptoms may be caused by a neuroleptic malignant syndrome
Other side effects include:
- Dry mouth, blurred vision, being unable to pass urine
- Feeling drowsy or sleepy, tiredness, disorientation, nightmares, headaches, restlessness
- Loss of appetite (anorexia), indigestion
- Feeling dizzy, feeling lightheaded, feeling faint (hypotension)
- Feeling confused, especially in elderly people
- Being more sensitive to the sun than usual
If you experience these or any other side effects while using this product, stop use and speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist right away. For more information about reporting the side effects of medication, please see the MHRA’s Yellow Card Scheme.
How to store this product
Store in a cool, dry place. Store in original packaging and do not use if the expiry date printed on the packaging has passed. Keep out of sight and reach of children.
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about addiction to 'over the counter' medication, we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
The active substance is promethazine hydrochloride.
The other ingredient(s) are: Tablet core: microcrystalline cellulose, calcium hydrogen phosphate dihydrate, sodium starch glycolate (Type A), stearic acid, magnesium stearate.
Tablet coating: hypromellose (E464), macrogol 8000 (E1521), titanium dioxide (E171), talc.
Can I take promethazine hydrochloride if I have an ileostomy ?
Please contact your Stoma nurse who will be able to advise you more regarding this question. Thank you.
Can this be taken at 8 weeks pregnant please
No it is not advised to be used during pregnancy. Please visit your GP or midwife for an alternative
Will this product help with temporary insomnia?
Phenergan Nightime would be more suitable to purchase as is licensed for this indication
Phenergan Nighttime is a treatment designed to relieve insomnia and sleep disturbances. Phenergan Night Time will help you to feel more relaxed, making it easier for you to drift off into a restful night’s sleep.
This pack contains 14 25mg Phenergan Night Time tablets, which will last for either one or two weeks, depending upon your dosage.
I am around 8 weeks pregnant suffering with nausea & sickness daily. Is there anything I can take to help?
We'd recommend Gaviscon to help ease indigestion.
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30* - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95* - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
*Excluding refrigerated products and treatments which are subject to different postage charges.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist4U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here