What is Nytol Liquid Caramel Flavour 10mg/5ml?
Nytol Liquid Caramel Flavour 10mg/5ml is an adult nighttime sleep aid that can help to alleviate symptoms of temporary insomnia (sleeplessness) for those aged over 16. It is the first clinically proven liquid sleep aid produced by Nytol which provides an alternative for those who are unable or prefer not to swallow sleeping tablets. It contains an active ingredient that helps to help control your brain’s waking system in order to help treat temporary sleeplessness. If you’re looking for an effective sleep aid to treat symptoms of short-term insomnia, try Nytol Liquid Caramel Flavour 10mg/5ml.
Why am I having trouble sleeping?
Being unable to fall or stay asleep for long enough is a common problem that can affect most people from time to time. If you’re not getting a sufficient amount of sleep or you’re experiencing poor quality sleep, it can leave you feeling tired during the day and have an impact on everyday life. Common symptoms of insomnia include:
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Lying awake or waking up several times during the night
- Waking up early and being unable to return to sleep
- Feeling groggy when you wake up
- Difficulty napping during the day despite feeling tired
- Irritability and difficulty concentrating
It can be common to experience the occasional period of insomnia without it having any serious or lasting problems. It’s not clear what exactly causes insomnia but there are a number of possible triggers that could be responsible for your sleep problems including:
- Mental illnesses such as depression and anxiety
- Poor sleep routine
- Uncomfortable sleeping environment
- Stimulants such as caffeine and nicotine
- Working irregular shifts
- Jet lag
- Underlying health conditions
- Side effects from some medications
What are the best home remedies for insomnia?
If you are often experiencing insomnia it is recommended that you seek advice from your doctor, as they may be able to prescribe medication or treatment to help you sleep better or to help deal with the cause of your insomnia. If your insomnia is occasional, there are many steps you can try at home to help improve your sleep quality including:
- Setting a specific bedtime and getting up at the same time each day
- Avoid taking naps during the day
- Take regular exercise, but avoid exercise at least 4 hours before bed
- Avoid caffeine a few hours before bedtime
- Avoid drinking alcohol or smoking before bed
- Don’t eat a large meal before bed
- Don’t stare at screens, such as your phone, tablet or tv before bedtime
- Try taking a warm bath, reading, listening to music or drinking a warm, milky drink before bedtime to induce sleepiness
- Ensure your room is dark and not too hot or cold
- Speak to a Chemist4U pharmacist to explore over-the-counter remedies for short-term insomnia
How can Nytol Liquid help to treat temporary sleeplessness?
Nytol liquid contains the active ingredient Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride which is an antihistamine. It works to treat insomnia by blocking the body’s response to histamine which is involved in the brain’s waking system. The liquid format is easier to administer, compared with traditional tablets and has a delicious caramel flavour. Nytol is suitable for children aged over 16 and adults.
How to use this product
This product should only be used as a sleep aid for anyone aged over 16 and adults. Do NOT administer to children aged under 16. Take 10 - 25 ml at bedtime or after retiring when sleep is not easy to achieve. Do NOT take a repeat dose in the same night.
If you take too much of this product seek immediate medical attention as soon as possible. Take this medicine and the patient information leaflet with you. If you are unsure whether this product is suitable for you, seek advice from a Chemist4U pharmacist. Avoid alcohol when taking this medicine. This medicine causes drowsiness and sedation and can also cause dizziness, blurred vision, attention disturbances and slower reaction times. Do NOT drive or operate machinery if you affected in this way when taking Nytol.
When NOT to use Nytol Liquid Caramel
Do NOT use this product if you are allergic to any of the ingredients (see ingredients tab for full list) or if you:
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Under the age of 16
- Have a peptic ulcer
- Have a blockage between your stomach and small intestine
Speak to your doctor or a Chemist4U pharmacist before taking this medicine if you:
- Suffer from myasthenia gravis (abnormal muscle function)
- Suffer from seizures or have epilepsy
- Suffer from asthma, bronchitis or COPD
- Have narrow-angle glaucoma
- Have an enlarged prostate
- Have difficulty urinating
- Have moderate to severe liver or kidney problems
- Are elderly, particularly if you also suffer from confusion
NEVER sedate a child. This medicine is for short-term use only. If symptoms persist, speak to your doctor.
Can I use this product with other medicines?
Speak to your doctor or a Chemist4U pharmacist BEFORE using this product if you are taking, have recently taken or may take any other medicines including:
- Other antihistamines including those used on your skin and in cough and cold medicines
- Tranquilisers or anxiolytics (sedatives) used to treat anxiety, e.g. diazepam
- Hypnotics (used to help you sleep better)
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) for depression or if you stopped taking an MAOI within the last two weeks
- Metoprolol (a beta-blocker) used to treat high blood pressure, angina, irregular heart beat or overactive thyroid
- Venlafaxine used to treat depression
- Anticholinergics which relax smooth muscle and are used to treat conditions such as IBS, Parkinson’s disease and incontinence
- Tricyclic antidepressants
Some of the ingredients in this medicine may affect some individuals:
- This product contains 1.66g of sucrose in 5ml - should be taken into account with patients with diabetes mellitus
- If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicinal product
- This medicine contains 260g propylene glycol in each 5ml
- This medicine contains parahydroxybenzoates which may cause allergic reactions (possibly delayed)
- This medicine contains less than 1 mmol sodium (23mg) per 5ml which means it is essentially sodium-free
Can this product cause side effects?
Like all medicines, Nytol Liquid can cause side effects, although not everyone will experience them. If you experience any of the following discontinue use immediately and contact your doctor as these symptoms may be signs of an allergic reaction:
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, swelling of the face, mouth or throat
- Rash, hives
Seek immediate medical advice if you experience:
- Faster heartbeat, irregular heartbeat
- Difficulty making or controlling movements
Always read the patient information leaflet for the full list of possible side effects before using this product.
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about addiction of 'over the counter' medication we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
The active substance is diphenhydramine hydrochloride, 10mg in 5ml.
The other ingredients are: purified water, sucrose, sodium saccharin, propylene glycol, glycerin, parahydroxybenzoates (methyl E218, ethyl E214, propyl E216 & butyl), caramel flavouring, colouring (caramel E150).
National Bed Month 2021
What Are the Best Tablets for Short Term Sleep Problems?
If you’ve ever lay in bed, staring at the ceiling, wondering why you can’t just fall asleep, and stressing over how many hours of potential sleep you have left until your alarm clock goes off, then you’ve probably considered taking sleeping tablets.
This is why we’re going to take a look at the different kinds of sleeping pills, which one could be the best for you, and why getting to sleep is not just as simple as taking a pill before bedtime.
Can’t Sleep? Our Guide to Dealing with Insomnia
Lying awake at night staring at the ceiling, tossing and turning, and counting more sheep than you ever thought you’d see in your life? You’re not alone.
Lots of people are up all night struggling with insomnia, so today we’re going to take a look at what insomnia is and why so many of us can’t seem to get those 8 hours of sleep we really need.
How much sleep are you really getting?
Our studies show that just 24% of people get the NHS recommended 7-8 hours sleep a night. With a range of factors keeping us up such as stress, partners, noise and caffeine - It’s time to switch up our sleeping habits, as not getting enough Z’s every night can alter our bodies’ much-needed nightly reboot and affect our brain’s capability to problem-solve. We surveyed 2,000 UK-based respondents on questions relating to their sleeping habits.
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30* - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95* - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Next Day UK Delivery - £4.95** - Delivery within 1 working day
Temperature Controlled Delivery - £8.85 - Delivery within 1-3 working days
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
*Excluding refrigerated products and treatments which are subject to different postage charges.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist4U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here