What are Buccastem M Buccal tablets?
Buccastem M Buccal tablets are an anti-sickness medicine that can help to ease feelings of nausea or vomiting. It is typically used as a treatment for sickness caused by migraine, but it can also be used to treat nausea and vomiting caused by conditions such as morning sickness, vertigo and travel sickness. It contains the active ingredient prochlorperazine which starts to work in around 30 - 60 minutes. If you’re looking for an effective treatment for nausea and vomiting, try Buccastem M Buccal Tablets.
What is a migraine?
A migraine is a headache that can cause moderate to severe pain and is usually experienced as a throbbing pain on one side of the head. It is a common health condition and it tends to effect women more than men. As well as pain in your head, a migraine can cause nausea, vomiting and an increased sensitivity to light or sound. The main types of migraine are:
- Migraine with aura - where you experience warning signs, such as flashing lights, before the headache begins
- Migraine without aura - this is the most common type of migraine, which occurs without warning
- Migraine aura without headache - warning signs of a migraine are experienced without the headache
No exact cause has been identified for migraines, but they are thought to be the result of temporary changes in chemicals, nerves and blood vessels in the brain. It is possible for migraines to occur due to certain triggers, which can include:
- Starting your period
- Fatigue (tiredness)
- Certain foods or drinks
How can Buccastem help to ease nausea?
Buccastem contains the active ingredient prochlorperazine maleate which can be used to treat nausea (feeling sick) and vomiting (being sick) caused by:
- Morning sickness
- Feelings of dizziness
- Travel sickness
- General anaesthetic, cancer treatment or a side effect of another medicine
- Problems with balance
It is presented in an easy-to-administer tablet that does not need to be swallowed. The tablets are placed at the top of the gum and dissolve, releasing the medicine. Buccastem is suitable for adults aged over 18.
How to use this product
Always take this medicine exactly as described by your doctor or pharmacist. The recommended dose is one or two tablets twice a day for a maximum of 2 days for adults aged 18 and over.
- Place the tablet high up along your top gum, under the upper lip either side of your outh, as indicated above - the tablet must not be swallowed whole or chewed
- The tablet will soften and adhere to the gum
- Allow it to dissolve slowly and completely - this may be taken between 1 and 2 hours
- Most people find that after a few minutes they no longer notice the tablet
- The table should not be moved without the mouth with the tongue as this will cause it to dissolve too quickly
- If you wear dentures, the tablet may be placed in any comfortable position between your lip and gum
If you forget to take Buccastem M Tablets, do NOT take a double dose to make up for it. If you accidentally take too many tablets you MUST seek medical attention immediately.
When NOT to use Buccastem tablets
Do NOT use this product if you are allergic to any of the ingredients or if you:
- Are pregnant, think you may be pregnant or are breast-feeding
- Have problems with your liver
- Have blood problems
- Suffer from epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease or Glaucoma
- Have problems with your prostate gland
- Are under 18 years of age
Seek advice from your doctor BEFORE using this product if you:
- Are elderly
- Have risk factors for a blood clot or stroke, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels, diabetes or smoking
- Or your family have a history of blood clots, as medicines like these have been associated with formation of blood clots
- Have a condition called myasthenia gravis, which causes muscle weakness
- Have AIDs
Can this product be used with other medicines?
Speak to your doctor BEFORE taking this medicine if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medicines, especially:
- Sedatives or tranquilisers used to help you sleep
- Antihypertensive medicines, used to treat high blood pressure (such as atenolol, propranolol or clonidine)
- Anticholinergic medicines, used for conditions such as depression
- Anticonvulsant medicines, used to prevent or treat fits
- Oral anticoagulants to help prevent blood clots
Can Buccastem M cause side effects?
Like all medicines, Buccastem M Tablets can cause side effects although not everybody will experience them.
If you experience any of the following side effects you should stop taking Buccastem M and contact your doctor immediately:
- Symptoms of an allergic reaction such as rash and swelling of the face, tongue or throat
- A high temperature, pale complexion, muscle stiffness and changes in levels of alertness
- Signs of infection, such as shivering, headache, sweating, high temperature, flushing, a sore throat or mouth and swollen glands
- Blood clots in the veins especially in the legs
- Symptoms of decreased sodium concentration in the blood
This product is a medicine; make sure to speak to your doctor or Chemist 4 U pharmacist before taking this product if you have an underlying medical problem or are taking any other medicine or complementary therapy. If your symptoms get worse or continue after taking this product, contact us or your doctor. For medical services in your area, please refer to https://www.nhs.uk
If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before taking this product. If you suffer from any allergies, ask your doctor or our pharmacist if this medicine is right for you.
Store all medicines out of sight and reach of children.
Please read the included leaflet carefully before using this product.
Please contact your GP if appropriate regarding this product.
Helpful Advice on Medication Restrictions & Addiction
For further information on our medication restrictions policy, please click here.
If you are concerned about an addiction to 'over the counter' medication, we urge you to visit the below links for professional help and advice:
Each tablet contains 3 mg of the active ingredient prochlorperazine maleate. The other ingredients are: compressible sugar (sucrose), povidone K30, xanthan gum, locust bean gum, talc, magnesium stearate and riboflavin sodium phosphate.
Ask a Pharmacist
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Submit a private question to be answered by one of our qualified UK pharmacists.
Free UK Delivery on all orders over £30 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Standard UK Delivery - £2.95 - Delivery within 3-5 working days
Please Note: These prices are shown as a guide only. All delivery times are approximate but have been obtained in good faith.
All our items are sent completely discreet for your peace of mind.
This means the packaging is plain, there is no mention of what product is inside your package and there is no mention of Chemist 4 U either.
We respect that many of our products are of a sensitive nature - this is why we take every step to keep your purchases private.
Customers can read our full returns policy by clicking here